Anemone Sting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can my Clown fish be Stung my my RBTA? I think he did on his tail. Looks almost swollen? Is that common for that to happen every so often?

I always thought clowns, unlike other fish are anenome sting resistant. Not sure though. But I'd say it is uncommon if it did happen.

I would imagine he did it with another fish of scratched it on some rock. From what I`ve read clowns have a chemical on their skin that anenomes recognize. Maybe someone else will have more info.

I am only asking because before she went into it her Anemone and started hosting her Tail was in great shape.... Now it's all swollen like it was stung or it was bitten? My other clown is in great shape as well as my other Fish. Could it get stung by something else? I'll see if I can get a Picture....

It could take days for a scratch to fester to swollen area. I might even suspect the other clown.

They have been fighting so maybe that could be the problem as well.... But not Life threading.

Looking at her for a bit and I hate to say it but looks like if it's Fungus? I might have to QT to make sure ....

If it's a fungus, just start doing more water changes. Improved water quality will usually cure any fungus.

I found this out of wikipedia

Clownfish and certain damselfish are the only species of fishes that can avoid the potent poison of a sea anemone. There are several theories about how this is accomplished:
  • The mucous coating of the fish may be based on sugars rather than proteins. This would mean that anemones fail to recognize the fish as a potential food source and do not fire their nematocysts, or sting organelles.
  • The co-evolution of certain species of clownfish with specific anemone host species and may have acquired an immunity to the nematocysts and toxins of their host anemone. Experimentation has shown that Amphiprion percula may develop resistance to the toxin from Heteractis magnifica, but it is not totally protected, since it was shown experimentally to die when its skin, devoid of mucus, was exposed to the nematocysts of its host[1]

I found this out of wikipedia

Clownfish and certain damselfish are the only species of fishes that can avoid the potent poison of a sea anemone. There are several theories about how this is accomplished:
  • The mucous coating of the fish may be based on sugars rather than proteins. This would mean that anemones fail to recognize the fish as a potential food source and do not fire their nematocysts, or sting organelles.

• The co-evolution of certain species of clownfish with specific anemone host species and may have acquired an immunity to the nematocysts and toxins of their host anemone. Experimentation has shown that Amphiprion percula may develop resistance to the toxin from Heteractis magnifica, but it is not totally protected, since it was shown experimentally to die when its skin, devoid of mucus, was exposed to the nematocysts of its host[1]

I guess that's probably what's happening then... So to my understanding he Might have gotten stung slightly by the Anemone? is that correct?

Man i been having some back luck ever since I added my 2 new Power heads.... But it's good I Learn something new everyday....

I dont think he did. I subcsribe to reason number one. I had to put it all down because I wanted you to know all the angles. I`m pretty sure it was either the other fish or a rock scrape.

Back
Top Bottom