Anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I heard that ocellaris clownfish are very picky about the types of anemones they will live in. Can someone please give me some suggestions of which ones are their favorite please.

First clown fish don't need an anemone and some never host. Most anemones are caught from the wild which mean if they don't get the clown fish at that same time chances are the clown will die. If you have proper lighting and tank size then get a bubble tip get one from someone whose BTA splits on a regular bases if possible. You will most likely pay a higher price but in the long run you will get an anemone that will be happy and more likely to stay put in your tank. Do a lot of research before deciding if an anemone will work in your tank.

Most important thing is have a very very stable tank that is at least a year old.

Melevsreef.com - BTA Growth over Time
Tank Setup For The Bubble Tip Anemone | Aquariums Life
Introduction to Bubble Tip Anemone (BTA) – Entacmaea quadricolor | Aquariums Life
The Bubble Tip Anemone | Aquarists Online | Aquarium Fish Resources And Information

Do the ocellaris clowns like the green bubble tip anemones.

When I get the anemone how do you handle them so you don't get stung.

Actually I don't feel anything when I handle mine now some people have a bad reaction to things like that and wear gloves.

My clown was tank bred and hosts so it really depends on the fish. Mine didn't host until after it was bullied by a lemonpeel. I took out the lemonpeel but the clown wouldn't leave my acan alone so when it started to die back it was then I decided to get a bta. Actually I would have been happier if my clown wouldn't have started all that nonsense.

You know your tank better than anyone. So do your and find out what anemone will work in your tank if any.

Well they do move that is one of the biggest issues with anemones some seem to find their way to a power head and end up dead. As far as feeding no and remember they need high light to stay healthy along with quality food. I feed a small pea size silver side once a week and mysis once a week. My clown tries to attack me whenever I get close to the anemone.
I have to feed the anemone because my clown thinks all food is his. You have to keep your water quality up which means no slacking on water changes. Most of my tanks I check the water once a month on the one with the bta I check at least weekly. Water flow is important to if there is to much or not enough the bta will start to move around the tank.

Remember not all clowns will host an anemone and anemones have been known to eat the clown fish as well.

I have one that split and now I have 2 and I don't think they are hard to take care of, but do some research what I read said you are doing good to keep them alive for more than 2 years, and great if you can keep them for more than 5. Also I've seen a lot of people say not to get one unless your tank is at least a year old. I did not know that and got mine when my tank was young. So far so good but I have only had them a little while. Odds are against me what I also read said your clowns will take care of it if they host. I try to feed mine silversides too but usually my cleaner shrimp steal them.

Back
Top Bottom