Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2004, 10:42 PM   #11
cj10488

Quote:
Quote:

They can survive in just about anything short term and are essentually throw away anemones

I don't believe any creature is a throw away. I think that even the Condy is beautiful and should be respected as God's creature
IMO they are not throw away creatures either... But in the industry they are treated that way...

Quote:
Sorry to bust your bubble James, but that's not mine.......
Dont mean to be rude but what is it then...

Quote:
This site is great and it would helpful if people would be more helpful, instead of critical. Most are on this site are helpful though. I hate to be new and stir up anger, but being more helpful about someones situation, would be better than critical
We are just here trying to help.. All the information we are giving you is very well researched.. Anemones need extremely intense lighting as well as a very mature tank 1+yrs old...
Quote:
I have already got the anemone, so can you help me with that?
Well for starters you are going to need to provide alot better lighting for it... I would suggest atleast 2x175w MH lights if not 2x250w Mh lights..
Quote:
Not tell me to take it back. I may be new, but I am not stupid
WE are just trying to state the cold hard proven facts... Most anemones cannot be kept long term by most of the So called Experts out there... WE are not trying to say that you are stupid.. We are trying to help... IMO there should be no more anemones in your tank...

IMO you should probably get rid of your Horseshoe crab as well as it will eventually eat all the food in your sand and will starve. They grow up to 2' and are not intended for captive systems. All your benificial creatures in the sand are being eaten..

Also your flame scallops are not intended for captive systems as well. They are extremely hard to keep and do not last long term..

Again I am just trying to provide you with honest information... Why lie and tell you everything is going to be ok when there is a 98% chance that it will not be...

Here is a good article on keeping anemones

James
Old 05-02-2004, 10:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for your opinion. But can I remind you of my original post?
Quote:
How do I know what aneomone's can live together, and how many I can add?

Is there a rule of thumb on this??

I want to get a variety of anemone's but dont know if there ok for each other. (carpet, rose bulb, purple tip, bubble)
I did'nt ask: Am I ready for one?
I noew understand that some of you think I'm not. I can even understand why. But the point is that I already have 2. So help me on that.

Don't want to sound like a butt. I really apreciate all your help, but could I get some more direct answers to my questions? Thanks.

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:01 PM   #13
cj10488

You want a quick and Easy answer? Most anemones in a closed system will fight chemically and all will eventually die.. It is not suggested that you keep more than one Species in the same tank.. Everyone has different experiences but I would chose the One anemone you really like and hope and Pray that it lives as more often than not they die rather quickly.. Some within a few weeks some within a few months.. If It were me I would just go for a Captive Raised BTA.. But you are still going to need atleast MH lighting to keep it..

James
Old 05-02-2004, 11:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to micaheli Send a message via AIM to micaheli Send a message via MSN to micaheli Send a message via Yahoo to micaheli
Okay, I think I can aswer your question.

Question: How many anemone's can I have and which kinds go well together?

Answer: NONE. Your tank is too new to have the ones you have. You will soon figure that out when you kill "Gods creatures".

So, that is your answer... Exactly what you asked for.

HOWEVER:

I don't want to start a flame war, but its lots of peoples opinion that anemones shouldn't be put in ANY tank less than 1yr old. Though most people settle at 6mo.

IF you had a 6mo-12mo old tank, you could keep as many as you could keep separated... and ones that will not fight. Lots of anemones will not do well when placed near each other. So, heed that in mind a year from now.

Advice (not critisism):
Read, read and read some more. Do a search for stuff before you ask the questions because there's a good chance somebody has asked it before.

--Micah
Old 05-02-2004, 11:19 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

OK folks, let's keep this friendly and simply answer the questions. Keep it on topic and no attacks.

FWIW, I agree with James statement above, 1 species per tank, they will sense each other as soon as they hit the water and chemical warfare will begin. Anemones, also, are not sessile inverts, they are mobile inverts and can easily go after one another taking out anything inbetween, lot's of collateral damage. Now, everyones experience, will vary, but you should know that anemones are virtually immortal in the wild, yet fare very poorly in the aquarium. This is why people get so worked up about it. Think about it, what is important to you that is immortal? Suppose they took that away from you after only 3-4 years, or in most cases less than a month?

I'm tagging along on this one, and if there is another post that I consider to be antagonistic or off topic, this topic will be locked. It is unfortunate that we pride ourselves in being one of the friendliest sites on the net, yet I have had to threaten to lock a couple of topics within a week. Please keep your emotions out of your posts, if you can't...don't post! Informational, non-emotional posts are what is needed in this type of situation

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey all my apologies.....

Very, Very sorry. I have been trying to read, read, read. There is so much to learn. There are so much info that is looked at differently by different folks. I guess there is nothing that all can agree on. But I will agree that the info I am recieving is good. Even though I don't want to hear it! JK!

The small anemone that I have does seem to be some kind of rock anemone. I did'nt buy it, it was attached to the LR. So I figured I would try to kepp it. It is growing good though.

As far as the purple tip, I asked the lfs, and they said it was ok. That ismy reasoning for buying that. I will hold out on buying anymore anemone's.

When do all you think that I will be ready for a BTA? They sure are beautiful.
Is there a poll anywhere on this forum about who all owns and anemone? If there is not it would be great to see. Anyway thanks all. I realize you are are trying to help.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:12 AM   #17
cj10488

Quote:
As far as the purple tip, I asked the lfs, and they said it was ok
Most LFS are only out there for the money.. If they said no It wont fair well in most tanks they wont make very much money... There are a few good ones out there that will refuse to sell you stuff that isnt compatible with your tank or each other but those a very rare and when/if you find one Never leave

Quote:
When do all you think that I will be ready for a BTA? They sure are beautiful
I would say get atleast 2x175w MH lights and research as much as you can.. When your tank is atleast 6m old then start looking for a healthy specimen.. Remember The best things come to those who wait...
Old 05-03-2004, 01:12 AM   #18
cj10488

I am not aware of any polls.. It would be nice to see one as well. Start one with the options of

1) Own Anemone Still Alive
2) Owned anemone Died
3) tank not ready
4) dont plan on getting one

LOL

HTH,
James
Old 05-03-2004, 01:16 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to micaheli Send a message via AIM to micaheli Send a message via MSN to micaheli Send a message via Yahoo to micaheli
And "Nothing good happens quick in this hobby - lots of bad stuff does.."

--Micah
Old 05-03-2004, 01:23 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your all right. I need to SSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOWWWW down. I my tank to be beauitful to quick. Besides that I going broke. This is way worse than being addicted to gambling. I would probably fair better going against the House.

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com