Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2004, 01:39 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
The "theory", and accentuate the theory part because it is just that, a tank should age before placing an anemone to my knowledge is for two reasons: First being it allows the tank to mature in stabilty. The more your tank ages and the more seasoned hobbyist you become the more stable your water parameters are. Stable water params are a must for the health of any livestock but moreso for the more delicate and sensitive creatures like the anemone. Secondly, and closely related, while you can learn and maintain your water husbandry on a new tank more quickly than say six months to a year, there are things that are not or cannot be tested for such as dissovled organics and micro-life. Personally I have succesfully placed an anemone in a tank less than a month old. While I would never recommend this to anyone, I used LS, LR, and water from an existing "aged" setup and it was a situation where I had an anemone injured and needed a hospitable envorinment.

Now that you already have these creatures and want to give it a go here are my suggestions:

1 - Identify your creatures. Not only will you then know the exact requirements for keeping these alive and happy, but you'll know where to look for help if needed. Also your "rock" anemone, depending on the origin of your rock may be an aiptaisa or mojo anemone, which can be harmful to your other livestock and/or spread like wildfire.

2 - Lighting: as master James wrote, lighting will be critical for most species. This again reinforces the above. While Metal halide is probably the preferred method it is possible to keep certain specimens with PC, HO, VHO lighting in the right amounts. It is highlt doubtful 110 W of PC on a 75 Gallon tank will suffice. Again I refer you to the above.

3 - Water quality. Test, test, and let someone else test to verify.

I am 100% positive we all started somewhere and just as positive about making errors in judgement and taking ill advice (mostly from LFSs). But while we all started somewhere through learning and sharing experiences we gained knowledge and a passion for the hobby that can easily strike up into debate. I doubt it was a lack of caring that would cause any offensive comments by the AA family members. Please continue to post and remember most of us are here to help where we can.

Good luck with your little piece of the ocean and keep us updated.

R-

Old 05-03-2004, 02:39 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the comment sumphead. (by the way love the name )

I have a small correction on my lighting. I have 2 white 55w running, and 2 65 watts of blue running. Total of 240w. I think that is still not enough.

As for the "rock anemone" it is def. not an aiptaisa. It looks like a big sunflower that lays flat on the rock. It has no protruding tenticles.

Hey I just remembered, that I have a pick of it when I first got it off the LR. Here it is. DOH!!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...cat=all&page=1

Well come on....what is it??

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2004, 03:02 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, that's a new one by me. I would almost say it looks more like a shroom, but I can't quite say that as I haven't seen a shroom quite like it either. See what we mean by difficulty? *shrugs* keep looking though. If you left it in a measureing cup for a couple of weeks it sure us a hardy bugger no matter what.

R-
Old 05-03-2004, 03:20 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL! The lfs came over and set up my tank they said keep in there 4 weeks, that it would be fine. I kept it in their 2 weeks. I can feed it some brine, and it will open up and eat it. The lfs has some that are about 6-8 inches big.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:29 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just as James said, be a little leary of the LFS. Unless he happens to be member of the congregation he very well may be interested in the money over the well being of an animal. I am sure someone else will chime in here and give thier opinion on what it may be. Nothing should be kept in that small of quarters for that long.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:31 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leary.....Yes
Old 05-03-2004, 03:31 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

That looks like some sort of mushroom to me....having lived after being in a measuring cup for 2 weeks would also point me in that direction of identification. Hmm...
Old 05-03-2004, 03:41 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

It has a mouth. It opens up and eats. I drop food on it and it opens up and eats.

Do shrooms have mouths? Not being funny....I really dont know.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:46 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Do shrooms have mouths?
Yes
Quote:
. I drop food on it and it opens up and eats
Ricordia shrooms are known to accept food.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:21 AM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

It's not a ricordea, it looks like a common dicosoma mushroom.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com