Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2004, 11:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anemone's (how many?)

Hey all it's me again....the NEWB!!

How do I know what aneomone's can live together, and how many I can add?

Is there a rule of thumb on this??

I want to get a variety of anemone's but dont know if there ok for each other. (carpet, rose bulb, purple tip, bubble)

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:10 AM   #2
cj10488

I would not recommend an Anemone at this point in time.. Your tank needs to be setup for a very long time so that your tank is ready for them... Putting them in rather soon is only going to cost you alot of money as well as deprive the Ocean of 1 less creature...

Most say that multiple species of anemones can be in the tank together however if you were going to put them in your 75g I would say no more than 1 Species..

Quote:
Coral Life Lighting (2 55w compact florescent white)
(2 55w compact florescent blue)
This is no where near enough light for an Anemone as well... I would recommend at least dual 175w MH lights if not dual 250w MH lights to keep any anemone in your 75g..

HTH<
James
Old 05-02-2004, 12:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Too late I have 2 already. 2 different species. 8O

One was attached to the LR when I got it. It has graown about 2 inches since I got it. It eats well and is growing good.

Purple tip doing great also. It is always opened up, with fish swimming in it all the time. Beautiful anemone.

Well what do I do???

And again, how many can I get?
Old 05-02-2004, 03:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well obviously no more since you will not even be able to sustain that one for any long period of time >.<
Old 05-02-2004, 03:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Reverend, Check out www.wetwebmedia.com look under: marine aquarium > Non-Vertebrate Life 2 > FAQ :Anemone Lighting.
With PC lighting try and keep your anenomes in the upper reaches of your tank. PC lighting isn't capable of penetrating deep into the water collum.

and Good Luck!
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 03:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the help all, and I will be able to sustain my anemone's.

I understand your concern, but your concern does'nt mean that I will fail. Thanks for your concern thought, I appreciate it.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:37 PM   #7

Some of the best aquarists can not even keep anemones alive for more than 3-5 years. Thats if there lucky, some anemones such as the bubble tip seem to be doing quite well in captivity. This is of course assuming you have ample amounts of metal halide lighting. Im assuming your small 1" anemone is a rock anemone or something that thrives under any condition (A seemingly worthless anemone) However your so called purple tip could be a number of things, my guess is its a bleched seabae. Either way it dosen't sound good to be keeping one with such little knowledge and inadequate lighting. Do yourself a favor and return it before it dies. Anemones may also look great, then literally die overnight. Don't make the mistake.... Try to be more responsible in your purchases, your tank is way to young.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
cj10488

Quote:
However your so called purple tip could be a number of things, my guess is its a bleched seabae
I would Guess Condy.. They can survive in just about anything short term and are essentually throw away anemones.. My local Petco Sells Condys LOL I had a few when I first started cause I thought they were cheap.. No acclimation just threw them in and they lived thru the night until I decided that I was not going to keep them and pulled them out and took them back...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...=23&pCatId=619

They are 4.99 online and I believe they are about the same at my local Petco

HTH<
James
Old 05-02-2004, 10:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
They can survive in just about anything short term and are essentually throw away anemones
I don't believe any creature is a throw away. I think that even the Condy is beautiful and should be respected as God's creature.

Quote:
I would Guess Condy
Sorry to bust your bubble James, but that's not mine.......

This site is great and it would helpful if people would be more helpful, instead of critical. Most are on this site are helpful though. I hate to be new and stir up anger, but being more helpful about someones situation, would be better than critical. I have already got the anemone, so can you help me with that? Not tell me to take it back. I may be new, but I am not stupid.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
IMO the info you are getting is helpful. First off, and not trying to sound critical, you don't even know what kind of anemones you have. Condylactis and some other rock anemones will do okay under moderate even low light. Most reef anemones and bubble tips and carpet anemones need very strong lighting to survive and thrive. The truth is that your lighting is not considered to be very strong. Compact fluorescents are bright but do not provide much PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) in deeper tanks. Your anemones may do okay for a time, over time they could lose their colors or more likely become a dull brown color.
Be cautious of any filter intakes or powerhead intakes and cover them...anemones move and often a powerhead intake is all it takes to kill one.
If you are truly interested in keeping mainly anemones, I would search around for some books that deal mainly with their husbandry. I don't keep any anemones and I'm not familiar with any books off the top of my head.
In the mean time, try to keep the water quality pristine, anemones do not tolerate high levels of nitrate. Try feeding the anemones with pieces of krill or silversides..have they been eating since you've had them. Look through some online retail sites or post a pic if possible to get a better ID and some more specific advice.

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com