Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Anenome and Clownfish

I have one Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish in my 35 gallon cube which i'm working on turning into a reef tank.

I've read that you can have clowns in small groups. Which i would like to do.

Also i would like to add an anenome, in my research i found that the black and white clown will host the Heteractis magnifica (Ritteri anenome) or a carpet. I do not want a carpet.

I also read that the Ritteri is one of the harder anenomes to keep. Does any one know what other types of anenomes black and whites will host.

Should i introduce an anenome next or more clowns.

ddm_aet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well a 35 gallon cube is cramming it for any anemones IMO. Anenomes of all species are tough keepers and both a carpet and Magnifica would outgrow a 35 gallon aquarium if conditions were right and they survived. The only anemone that could possibly work and that your clownfish would host in is a Bubble Tipped Anemones. BTA's again are easier to keep then some anenomes but still are tough keepers in the scheme of things.

Clownfish do not need an anenoome in captivity and will do just fine without one. You could try to get your clowns hosting in a nice colony of frogspawn or torch coral. Those LPS corals are hardy and do not get large enough to outgrow a 35 gallon aqaurium like an anenome would. In addition to that, often times in the abscence of an anenome clownfish will host in an LPS or even soft coral.

Want a great read check out my debut novel Neptune's Garden: www.neptunesgardenbook.com
macman7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
AFAIK clowns are best kept singley or in mated pairs in smaller tanks. I would not recommend keeping more than two in a 35 gal for long term health/success. As far as anemones go, I think a bubble tip would be ok in a 35 gal, assuming you have the proper lighting, etc. BTA's are not only fairly hardy, but available as tank raised/aquacultured specimens. That means better chances of survival, and also no negative impact on natural reefs.
MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote

anenome, clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com