Anenome and Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddm_aet

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have one Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish in my 35 gallon cube which i'm working on turning into a reef tank.

I've read that you can have clowns in small groups. Which i would like to do.

Also i would like to add an anenome, in my research i found that the black and white clown will host the Heteractis magnifica (Ritteri anenome) or a carpet. I do not want a carpet.

I also read that the Ritteri is one of the harder anenomes to keep. Does any one know what other types of anenomes black and whites will host.

Should i introduce an anenome next or more clowns.

Well a 35 gallon cube is cramming it for any anemones IMO. Anenomes of all species are tough keepers and both a carpet and Magnifica would outgrow a 35 gallon aquarium if conditions were right and they survived. The only anemone that could possibly work and that your clownfish would host in is a Bubble Tipped Anemones. BTA's again are easier to keep then some anenomes but still are tough keepers in the scheme of things.

Clownfish do not need an anenoome in captivity and will do just fine without one. You could try to get your clowns hosting in a nice colony of frogspawn or torch coral. Those LPS corals are hardy and do not get large enough to outgrow a 35 gallon aqaurium like an anenome would. In addition to that, often times in the abscence of an anenome clownfish will host in an LPS or even soft coral.

AFAIK clowns are best kept singley or in mated pairs in smaller tanks. I would not recommend keeping more than two in a 35 gal for long term health/success. As far as anemones go, I think a bubble tip would be ok in a 35 gal, assuming you have the proper lighting, etc. BTA's are not only fairly hardy, but available as tank raised/aquacultured specimens. That means better chances of survival, and also no negative impact on natural reefs.

Back
Top Bottom