Anenome-is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicsak90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to this hobby I started my tank about 5 months ago and added a bubble tip annenome about a month ago. He looked normal for about an hour then he moved under the rock, I assumed he was stressed so I just left him alone but I'm starting to get frustrated bc he has never looked normal and I feel like he's been in there long enough and shouldn't be stressed any more, does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• image-4174794831.jpg
    image-4174794831.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 135
  • image-2893733769.jpg
    image-2893733769.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 117
  • image-550437666.jpg
    image-550437666.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 132
I have my water checked every week at the store and they always tell me its perfect but to be honest I couldn't give u #s. I purchased a new light when I got the annenome. The box says it's a t5 high output double lighting system. I don't think the anemone gets light tho. The moved under, at 1st I tried to move him back but I couldn't so I just flipped the rock but he went under again. I feed him 1-2 of the frozen silver? Fish everyday or every other day. I feel like it could be his food

Your tank is not old enough for an anemone. Requires a well established aquarium. Also requires strong lighting and low nutrients.

As mentioned what lighting at you using? And what are your parameters at?

Don't feed your anemone. That will cause more stress.

And yes you don't have enough lighting either.

I have my water checked every week at the store and they always tell me its perfect but to be honest I couldn't give u #s. I purchased a new light when I got the annenome. The box says it's a t5 high output double lighting system. I don't think the anemone gets light tho. The moved under, at 1st I tried to move him back but I couldn't so I just flipped the rock but he went under again. I feed him 1-2 of the frozen silver? Fish everyday or every other day. I feel like it could be his food

You may be overfreeding it? I rarely feed mine, if food wanders its way into it, so be it. They are creatures that will feed off of light. What size is your tank? Try to get more details about the lighting as well...

Oh I could be over feeding it, that's what they told me to do at the store. They also thought it was ok to get the anemone bc i hadn't had any real issues and it had been 4 months. Here's a pic of the box the light came in. I ordered my own test strips but for now I just rely on the store to check my water and the last 2 times I was in they did not write it down for me

Attachments

• image-405743837.jpg
    image-405743837.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 127
The store is there to make money. Don't trust everything they say. Do your own research and ask questions on here.

Test strips are not recommended for saltwater. They are not very accurate. Get liquid tests. is your fish store using test strips? Next time you have them test ask for numbers and ask to watch them test.

Do you know what bulbs are in your light fixture? You will probably need another of those fixtures. And probably different bulbs.

I ordered strips but my friend works for API and he's bringing me tons of stuff including the liquid tests. I didn't kno there was a difference. I do watch them and there is only one person there I trust, he does my tests but he does use trips on everything except like 2 and I'm not sure which tests those are. So far he's not guided me wrong although other ppl in the store have. I kno how people are when they try to sell things but I truely don't think that's what he is doing bc he knows I'm going to spend money either way! Ha... So u think I need two of those light fixtures? So r u saying If I increase the light the annenome might move so that it's getting light?

Probably won't help currently as your tank is still to new and not established enough for an anemone. Can you take it back? Should wait till your tank has been running at least 10 months.

Ya I mean I can donate it back to the store. So u think it has no chance?

He's not looking too good these days, you have several hurdles to get past before he will get better. One is your lighting, you need more like mentioned. Secondly, your tank is still going through changes, even if you get another fixture you still have some potential issues ahead of you. How are your parameters and how is your water change schedule?

I'm new to this hobby I started my tank about 5 months ago and added a bubble tip annenome about a month ago. He looked normal for about an hour then he moved under the rock, I assumed he was stressed so I just left him alone but I'm starting to get frustrated bc he has never looked normal and I feel like he's been in there long enough and shouldn't be stressed any more, does anyone have any suggestions?

As mentioned before a anemone is best to wait till your tank is established ,
As I have learned this first hand .
As for lighting , I have a ritteri anemone she is 12" across and starting to get color back after being bleached .
They are very picky creatures , I feed mine 1 raw small shrimp once a week sometimes every other week . It takes too much energy to digest too much this stressing them out more .
I would strongly recommend researching or asking questions and NOT trusting a sales man ever .
They are there to make a sale .
If the one they sold doesn't do well or survive they can sell you another .
A sad mentality but it's true .
Have you posted any information about your system ?
Rocks , sand bottom , stock , filtration ,
And welcome to AA
We are all here to help and not convince you to buy something you will have trouble keeping.

Well thanks everyone for the advice, I am on my way to the store now to have my water checked and get more salt...I slowed down on feeding the annenome but I guess he was to far gone maybe bc I'm pretty sure he is dead I'm gonna check again in a few hours b4 I take him out because I am not quite sure yet...I have gotten great advice here so I will try to rely on it more. the problem is I have SO many questions lol....someone suggested that something in my tank could be stressing the annenome out like picking on it and actually there was...my cleaner shrimp was all over the annenome when I fed him he ever tried to steal the food, either way I will wait b4 I try to add another! I will post what my water parameters are as soon as I kno them

aww thats too bad about the anemone.....sorry to hear that.

But better luck in the future when things are more settled. :)

Rather than adding a new thread I was wondering if anyone may know about this guy....all I want to know is if it looks dead, it's a leather coral my water quality in the store was reading that my nitrites was 20 but I just did the test and I believe it is 0 however my nitrates looks like it's 60-80 could it be from my annenome or this leather coral, I'm going to attach a pic of the tests bc I'm not sure I'm reading the colors right (ya I kno that sounds like I'm an idiot but honestly I don't

Attachments

• image-3084292585.jpg
    image-3084292585.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1909592760.jpg
    image-1909592760.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1444500556.jpg
    image-1444500556.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 94
Well you're going to need to figure out which one it is. If you do in fact have nitrites present, then your cycle is not complete. I would not add anything until you are clear and certain as to what stage your tank is in. Everyone here is trying to help, but if your LFS says your nitrites are at 20, but you BELIEVE they are at 0, you could be setting yourself up for another bad situation. This hobby is not for gut feelings, rather actual readings and conditions.

Well you're going to need to figure out which one it is. If you do in fact have nitrites present, then your cycle is not complete. I would not add anything until you are clear and certain as to what stage your tank is in. Everyone here is trying to help, but if your LFS says your nitrites are at 20, but you BELIEVE they are at 0, you could be setting yourself up for another bad situation. This hobby is not for gut feelings, rather actual readings and conditions.

I think the actual readings are in the above pictures .
Nitrates are too high for corals ,
How often and how much do water do you change ?
Nitrates are the last part if the nitrogen cycle , as long as nitrites are 0 and you can test nitrates everything is working as it should .
More frequent water changes will bring the nitrates to tolerable levels .
Do a 50% water change and wash all filter media .
Test again there should be a difference .
Keep us posted :)

I think the actual readings are in the above pictures .
Nitrates are too high for corals ,
How often and how much do water do you change ?
Nitrates are the last part if the nitrogen cycle , as long as nitrites are 0 and you can test nitrates everything is working as it should .
More frequent water changes will bring the nitrates to tolerable levels .
Do a 50% water change and wash all filter media .
Test again there should be a difference .
Keep us posted :)

I wasn't saying the pics weren't the actual readings, I was just saying that it needs to be confirmed. Maybe run the tests another time to be sure. And yes, I also agree the nitrates are way too high. If the next water test confirms the parameters, then definitely do a large water change. I don't necessarily agree with "washing" the old media, but maybe rinsing it in the old tank water.

Back
Top Bottom