Anenomes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaJen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would really like to have an anenome.
I have read a little and plan on reading alot more about it.
I'm curious to if there is one good for a beginner.

I don't plan on just running out and buying one, and I have read that the two species that Clownfish prefer are the hardest to keep.
I'd like to start with something small maybe.
( I would really like to have a pair of clownfish and an anenome one day)

I have heard mixed opinions about even keeping anenomes.

Just looking for some info and/or opinions.

Jen :multi:

From what I understand, you need very good lighting to keep an anemone. I have two, a rock anemone and a pink tip anemone. The pink tip, I've had for about 4 months and the rock for approx. two months. I don't currently have adequate lighting but I should receive appropriate lighting via UPS tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop with adequate lighting. The rock anemone has done fairly well with the lighting I have, the pink tip doesn't blossum as much as when I got it but I'm hoping for the best under better lighting conditions.

You might want to read here http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/anemones.htm

they have a lot of information about anemones and also problems people have encountered with owning ones.

We own a Sebae and it has lived quite a few months, but I really wish I had read the above board before I did, my clown doesn't host the anemone, it hosts a leather toadstool you can check it out in my gallery, it used to host an giant cup mushroom which it decided to lure our other clown into and was eaten one night.
We don't have the Giant cup anymore :wink: The anemone we have sits at the back of our tank where it not only gets the light from our PC lights but also the PC light that we have on our hang on refugium. When people write that an anemone is "hardy or better for a beginner, do the research on other people's experiences first. JMO good luck in your decision :D

anemones are cool... mines is weird.. i think he's finally happy.. i mean.. before it used to move around every two weeks.. now it has finally buried itself under a live rock.. i think it's staying there for sure because it's been like a month already and it's still there.. but i say you don't get one unless you read about the survival rates of anemones in home aquariums.. maybe that would change your mind about it.. it would've changed mines, but i bought it before i read.. hehe..

I have heard that anemones are better left in the ocean, and clownfish don't house in all anemones. However I do know that clownfish house in bubble coral. Bubble coral are pretty easy to keep, and don't require as much lighting as anemones. Bubble coral is beautiful too. It also has stinging tentacles. Also bubble coral does not move around your tank so you don't have to worry about it moving to another coral you have and killing it. Anemones can move and sting other corals and kill them. Like I said I don't have experience with anemones but I know a little about the bubble coral.

There is no guarantee that a clownfish will take to any type of anemone in a tank. You could get an anemone and your clown might never use it as a host. Clown fish need to host to an anemone in the wild because they use it for protection from predators. Your clown will not need to host to it in your tank. Anemone's require a very mature/stable tank in order to survive. From what I have read, they are hard to take care of and shouldn't be put in a tank that is less than 6 months old....other would say it would be better to wait a year before the tank will be mature enough.

that's not a guarantee.. even the most advance aquarist have failed in raising anemones.. bubble corals can harm other corals.. at night they stick out these tentacles that stings nearby corals, and it can do a lot of damage with that.. i think you have to put it like six inches away from other corals to be safe.. i've read that sometimes clownfish never take to an anemone..

Thanks for all of the information everyone. I really appreciate it!!

I am looking into other alternatives to anemones now.

I don't want to possibly harm any living thing.

As exciting as it would be to see a pair of clowns with the Anemone it's just not worth it, if the Anemone would be put at risk.

Jen :multi:

from my research on anemones, the rose bulb is probably the best to get . from what ive heard it is hradier than most other anemone, isnt as aggressive , but is a beautiful dark red color. im not sure how often clowns will host them, but at a lfs near me, there was one hosting it in a display tank. they are a more expensive one tho, so you have to keep that in mind too

BBReef said:
from my research on anemones, the rose bulb is probably the best to get..... they are a more expensive one tho, so you have to keep that in mind too

indeed, Marine Depot has one on sell for $175. On SALE!

haha.. that's crazy.. i guess people will pay a little extra just to ensure that they get a long-lived one..

I recently purchased a bulb tip brown anenome for $15 (small-4 in. across fully open) from www.marinedepotlive.com My marroon clown was in it immedietly, rolling around and frollicking in it like she had found her long lost best friend!! It's was the most rewarding experience yet.....just amazing. the maroon clown hasn't left it since. it is just an amazing thing to have in your home. I've been completly satisfied w/ everything I've purchased from marinedepot.

Just remember folks that when deciding, a "hardy" anemone is relative to other species, not necessarily "long-lived". Captive bred daughter colonies of E. quadricolors are entering the market though, hopefully there will be more.

Back
Top Bottom