Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-28-2003, 04:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
anesthetising a clam

G'day from Sydney Australia

A friend has had a halogen light break, and a shard of glass fell into a clam. Since the accident the clam has remained closed, and I'm sure is in distress. I know if I force the clam open this will kill it. Is it possible to anesthetise it, open it, remove the glass and expect it to recover?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have no idea about clams, but I am sure the clam will do what is best for the clam. Forcing it open will surely cause more injury than the clam already has suffered. I would just wait and see what happens.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:55 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
You will have to wait. The clam should expell the foreign object on it's own, there is little to be done about it. FWIW, the shard of glass, if small, shouldn't bother the clam all that much, provided it didn't pierce the clam or burn it when if first touched the clam. There are actually some critters that live inside clams, I would think their scurrying about would do more damage than a static piece of glass

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
If you can easily remove the glass then just do it, othwise leave it be. Clams have no brain so there's nothing to anesthetize. To get to relax an overdose of Magnesium will accomplich that but IMO the Mg is more dangerous than the glass. The clam should eventually expell it on its own.
If you wake up breathing CONGRATULATIONS!!! You get another chance to do it right.
Bang Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:42 PM   #5
that piece of glass is most likely IMO to be passed by the clam but the concern of it being lodged or breaking down into more than one piece is your biggest threat!! let nature take its course... GOOD LUCK
Old 10-29-2003, 09:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Maybe you will end up with a really big pearl!!

tkos is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com