Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Angry with shrimp!!! HELP

I have a 50gal tank with a yellow tang, fire fish and tomato clown, basic wet / dry. About 1 1/2 weeks ago I bought a skunk cleaner shrimp from my LFS. Acclimated him 2 hours with the drip method. They had this shrimp about 3 weeks. The next morning he's dead!!

Bought a blood shrimp they have had for about 4 days, acclimated him for 3 1/2 hours w/ the drip method. He is dead with in 3 hours of going in the tank. That is of shrimp. I should have gone for a nice shrimp meal somewhere for that price. Needless to say I am quite angry. Please help!!

Ammn.=Maybe .3 to .4
Nitrite=0; (darn colors are so close together hard to read)
Nitrate=about 7;
PH about 8.4
temp 80;
SG 1.022

-60 lbs (3") of sand.
-2x65w power compact lights
-2x18w power compact in the refug.
-bak pak 2R
-3 LARGE feather dusters all differebt colors
-orange spotted goby
-fire fish
-12 or so hermits
-50-60 nassairus snails
-about 12 turno snails
-emrald crab
supermarvin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Ammn.=Maybe .3 to .4
This is probably the reason why. How long has the tank been set up?
Inverts are even more sensitive to ammonia than fish.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

tank has been set up for about 2 months.
-60 lbs (3") of sand.
-2x65w power compact lights
-2x18w power compact in the refug.
-bak pak 2R
-3 LARGE feather dusters all differebt colors
-orange spotted goby
-fire fish
-12 or so hermits
-50-60 nassairus snails
-about 12 turno snails
-emrald crab
supermarvin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. Ammonia is mostl likely the culpret. How did you cycle the tank? Can you verify the ammonia with another test kit?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would .3 ammonia really be enough to KILL a shrimp? If that were the case, wouldn't it be virtually impossible to add new LR or even a couple of new fish to a tank without endangering the inverts?

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would think adding shrimp to a system with amonia would be worse than them being in the system when the ammonia rose to that level

ive lost 1 fire and 2 cleaner shrimp both times within 2-3 days so i started using the drip method for around 2 hours then floating them for 20 mins and ive had no more deathes since
Old 03-09-2005, 10:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
i would think adding shrimp to a system with amonia would be worse than them being in the system when the ammonia rose to that level
That's probably a good point. After reading these posts, I ran to check my water, because I just added two peppermint shrimp today. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-15 (hard to match the color, so I'll say 15)

I'll probably do a water change tomorrow. I have a plug of chaeto in my sump and I'm getting some more to help with the nitrates, so my fingers are crossed for my first-ever shrimp!!

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Why do you float them AFTER using the drip method? Equalizing temp first is supposed to help protect against pH differences, from what I understand. The drip method is then used to acclimate to new salinity and the pH difference not related to temperature.

Livestock I added:

Old 03-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Equalizing temp first is supposed to help protect against pH differences, from what I understand. The drip method is then used to acclimate to new salinity and the pH difference not related to temperature.
I float the bag in the tank for about a half hour to get a temp match then I drip acclimate in a bucket with a heater and a PH monitor.
When the temp, PH and SG match...I then add then to the system.
Inverts I drip very slow and have never lost one to an acclimation issue.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I too float them After the drip method. I have not found a heater to go in my dripping bucket that fits yet...and with 2 to 3 hours of dripping the water gets colder in the bucket than the tank. So I float to temp acclimate before putting them in the tank. If it is a "mail order" shipment...I float before and after. Just to get the bags up to temp before the dripping beginnings. Haven't lost an invert or fish this way yet.

WC

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com