Anniversary Present

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happyhillbilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
:) Hello! It's my parents anniversary in a few weeks and I want to get them an aquarium. I'm pretty knowelgeable about fish but I was wondering if Clown Fish are easy to care for. I also want to know if you need special filters or something. Please help!

nothing special, just make sure that you have all the right things you need like:
1) Skimmer
2) Bio Filter
3) live Rock and live sand.

Yeah, I know that lol, but I mean basic fish care (1 gal per fish, cycles, feeding, ect.)

oh... cause you posted it in the "Freshwater/Brackish" forum instead of the "Saltwater" forum - that's why I asked :)

they might be able to give you a better idea what you're up against...

JMO, but I would not give such a gift unless you knew for sure they had been wanting to commit to the time,upkeep and expense of a saltwater tank.

I agree with Hara. This is not a gift to just give someone. They must be willing to do all of the follow-up maintaining of the tank. You are also looking at a few hundred bucks to get started. Big investment so make sure your parents really want this and will be able to take care of it. I suggest doing a ton of research.

happyhillbilly said:
Yeah, I know that lol, but I mean basic fish care (1 gal per fish, cycles, feeding, ect.)

in salt water it is more like 5 gal of water per 1 inch of fish. and there is a really big start up cost. my 46 gal tank is well over $2,500 but that is a reef tank. and that person has to really be ready to take care of it.

Agree with all the advice above but just had to say it's an awesome gesture on your part (y)

BTW, are you sure this is really a gift for them? :lol: :p

Yeah, I"m a SW noob, and
1. its not cheap
2. its more maintenance than FW setups
3. if they didn't specifically say "boy I wish we had a SW tank with a Nemo fish..." then I wouldn't get it for them.

The only way it might work is if you're over there a LOT and doing all the maintenance and water changes. Even then, things can go very wrong, very quickly.

That said, I wish someone would buy me a full aquarium setup :)

Back
Top Bottom