Another cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had my tank cycled to where it was nitirtes 0 amm. 0 and nitrates 20ppm I put some LR I cured to where the amm. was at 0 in the tank. now the levels are as follows nitirite .5 amm. 0 nitrates 20ppm Is this normal? The LR has been in for about a week. I am going to do a partial water change tonight. I need to vacum the bottom. TIA

Maybe the LR started a mini cycle? But that would have spike the ammonia... SOrry I am not sure!

It sounds to me like your live rock was not fully cured when you put it in to your new aquarium...

What potentially happened was that after placing the live rock in, initially the ammonia went up slightly, but the bacteria already in your tank quickly began converting that to nitrite, and you are in the middle of a mini-cycle.

If that IS what happened, the bacteria already have your ammonia well under control, and this means your nitrite should slowly decrease until it is gone over the next few days! Let us know!

Paul

I did a 20% water change and I will test again tomorrow and see what it says. I was trying to bring my nitrates down. So we will see. Hopefully everything will read right. How long after my paremeters are right can I start adding fish?

Back
Top Bottom