another dumb mistake.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok about 1hour ago I was checking out my pair of clownfish happy as could be. posting on this site just dinking around. Took a look at my overflow and I had a dead clownfish in it. it got sucked into the overflow through the U-tube and on top of the sponge filter before the overflow tube. I had a mesh net that went over my overflow box but figured it was ugly and the fish wouldn't get sucked through it boy was I wrong. If only I had removed the sponge before the overflow tube the poor little clownfish would have made it into the refugium and still be alive. Learned my lesson I will now put the mesh cover over my overflow. that really upsets me. My second clownfish lost. I feel like a newbie yet I have been at this for some time now.

We're all newbies, fijiwigi. There's just too much to learn about this hobby and alot of it is by trial and error. Sorry for your loss.

I'm very sorry to hear about the clownfish. :(

I can relate to the newbie part. I've had my pressurized CO2 system for over a year but I still had to figure out (with the help of this forum) why it wasn't turning itself on one day. We all learn and share from our mistakes but sometimes it's not easy. I hope you can replace your clownfish if that's what you want to do.

It happens dont beat yourself up over this :) I had a shrimp that committed fishiside by jumping out . I had several that jumped as I did not like the egg crate and how it looked , now I have it on but I am thinking of painting it black as I dont think it will absorb too much light . I agree with kurt we are all still newbies in this hobby just when you learn something it changes :) IT happens sorry for your loss ... You had no way of knowing the out come :(

Clown fish are very strong swimmers. In nature, they get really tossed around by wave action and currents. That fish had to be very weak to not be able to swin away from a HOB overflow. IMO, it had nothing to do with no screen being over the overflow. I used HOB overflows for many many years with no screen over it and no sponge and never had a healthy fish get sucked in.

Clown fish are very strong swimmers. In nature, they get really tossed around by wave action and currents. That fish had to be very weak to not be able to swin away from a HOB overflow. IMO, it had nothing to do with no screen being over the overflow. I used HOB overflows for many many years with no screen over it and no sponge and never had a healthy fish get sucked in.
The clownfish was a baby still very small I have a somewhat bigger one that is still cruising the tank. Plus the Mag7 was at full blast in a 46g the water was moving pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom