Another freshy converting, 3 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
redsea said:
Nope, no problems so far, and they are easy to keep. They will eat practically anything since they are scavengers. This one is actually out and about a good amount of time too!

Great, what would I need to feed it? Cause I wouldn't think that there would be enough in a 3 gallon with probably no fish on there to miss food and such for it to live on. I don't think you can just drop an algae wafer like you can in fw. Haha

00youknowit00 said:
Sweet!! But that wouldn't be too much LR in the tank would it? If that's even really possible:p

Not sure. I thought the rule was something like at least 1 lb per gallon, but I think you should add a little more than that to be safe. I would personally go with as much rock as I could fit, and would work well in the system. I wouldn't add so much where all that is in the tank is basically rock though.

00youknowit00 said:
Great, what would I need to feed it? Cause I wouldn't think that there would be enough in a 3 gallon with probably no fish on there to miss food and such for it to live on. I don't think you can just drop an algae wafer like you can in fw. Haha

Mine eats flakes and frozen foods, like frozen kinds of shrimp (brine, mysis). They go crazy for frozen shrimp, lol, they are cannibals.

redsea said:
Not sure. I thought the rule was something like at least 1 lb per gallon, but I think you should add a little more than that to be safe. I would personally go with as much rock as I could fit, and would work well in the system. I wouldn't add so much where all that is in the tank is basically rock though.

Yeah, that's my main concern, I don't want the whole tank to be rock, but I want a good amount. And obviously I'm going to buy all LR, no base.

If the general rule its 1lb per gallon, if I have 8lbs that should be plenty. Theoretically at least.

redsea said:
Mine eats flakes and frozen foods, like frozen kinds of shrimp (brine, mysis). They go crazy for frozen shrimp, lol, they are cannibals.

Haha I've noticed that, all my other shrimp go absolutely nuts for frozen brine shrimp, and shrimp pellets, much more so than algae wafers.

Are fw tropical flakes fine to feed too? I have frozen brine shrimp, and bloodworms for my Bumble Bee Gobys.

Yes i say 8lbs of live. I think that the 1lb/gallon rule is mostly for larger tanks. With somthing as small as a 3, youll need to double or triple the amount.

For your fire shrimp, ya i think frozen mysis should be good!
What types of flakes are generally good for sw fish red sea?

This will be a cool build, ill be following bro. Good luck!

Gboy66 said:
Yes i say 8lbs of live. I think that the 1lb/gallon rule is mostly for larger tanks. With somthing as small as a 3, youll need to double or triple the amount.

For your fire shrimp, ya i think frozen mysis should be good!
What types of flakes are generally good for sw fish red sea?

This will be a cool build, ill be following bro. Good luck!

Great to have more input! 8lbs it is!
I'll find some frozen mysis shrimp for it. I have plenty of time to gather things. Tank isn't even out of the box yet!

00youknowit00 said:
Great to have more input! 8lbs it is!
I'll find some frozen mysis shrimp for it. I have plenty of time to gather things. Tank isn't even out of the box yet!

Lol, well your going quicker than i have been with my build at least! Slow and steady wins the race...i guess lol

Gboy66 said:
Lol, well your going quicker than i have been with my build at least! Slow and steady wins the race...i guess lol

Haha, I read your whole build last night! (0_o) lol mines a lot different, much smaller scale, makes it a lot easier to get going.

00youknowit00 said:
Haha, I read your whole build last night! (0_o) lol mines a lot different, much smaller scale, makes it a lot easier to get going.

Haha you read it all? Thats cool!

Ya, yours is just a little bit smaller, but when you pull it off it will look so great. Like a little pico reef haha.

Is the tank you have rimless? Does it have a top? Oh and will this be a reef build? I didnt see anything about a reef in this thread

Gboy66 said:
Haha you read it all? Thats cool!

Ya, yours is just a little bit smaller, but when you pull it off it will look so great. Like a little pico reef haha.

Is the tank you have rimless? Does it have a top? Oh and will this be a reef build? I didnt see anything about a reef in this thread

Whole thing! I want as much info as possible.

Yeah its rimless, seamless, etc. No top, so have to stay on top if top offs.

And yeah, it's gonna end up a pico reef. Probably just a few easy corals though, nothing hard.
Do you have any recommendations for some corals, low light, non demanding but still look cool?

00youknowit00 said:
Whole thing! I want as much info as possible.

Yeah its rimless, seamless, etc. No top, so have to stay on top if top offs.

And yeah, it's gonna end up a pico reef. Probably just a few easy corals though, nothing hard.
Do you have any recommendations for some corals, low light, non demanding but still look cool?

Nice, i love the rimless picos. So cool.

Ya, totally agree with red sea's list. All of those corals are easy, and grow pretty quickly too!

redsea said:
You could look into Mushrooms, Zoas, Leathers and Xenia. :)

Okay sweet, I'll look into corals more later, gotta get this thing going first! Ill open all this stuff up when I get home with it (bought it while on vacation) today and look at the light and see what they'll sustain.

00youknowit00 said:
Okay sweet, I'll look into corals more later, gotta get this thing going first! Ill open all this stuff up when I get home with it (bought it while on vacation) today and look at the light and see what they'll sustain.

Sounds good! Is the tank meant for a small sw tank? It came with a light and everything?

What are you planning for HOB filtration again?

Gboy66 said:
Sounds good! Is the tank meant for a small sw tank? It came with a light and everything?

What are you planning for HOB filtration again?

Yeah I believe so. Scroll up to the top, out had a link to the tank. It's JBJ 3 gallon picotope. And yes, the HOB it came with

I had a 4g pico not too long ago and it was a really fun tank. :) I had a green clown goby and a ton of corals. Also had a nice assortment of inverts too, including shrimp. I love shrimp they are so awesome.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom