Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay so first off, I know I shouldn't be starting with a 3 gallon.. I know I should be starting with a bigger tank.. But, this is the only option for me to have a saltwater tank, mom wouldn't allow another 20, not even another 5 or 10.. So I'm going into this knowing that its going to be a LOT harder to keep levels right ect.

This is the tank I got, a 3 gallon JBJ picotope: http://www.nanoreefgear.com/3-gallon-jbj-picotope

I don't know if there are actually any fish I can get, or if it'll need to be like shrimp only? I'm going off of fresh water, and 3 gallons really just means a shrimp tank, or a betta (which still really needs 5g). But I figure I've got a little while to figure that out since its got to cycle first, and as of now all I have is the tank light and filter.

Do I need live sand? Or can I get normal sand and let it become live on its own? Benefits there? Cause I love the look of black sand. I know I need live rock don't I?

I have a hydrometer (for my brackish tank), will that be good enough, or do I have to get a refractometer?

I'm not sure where to start haha, this is all new to me! So anything y'all think of that can help me is greatly appreciated!! I'm gonna go slow and make sure its all getting done right. I'm really excited

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like I should probably get a refractometer, which ones do y'all use? Also it looks like no fish can fit in there, so just inverts, which is fine with me. I love shrimp, and they also have a low bio load which is good cause this isn't a big tank. Lol What kind of inverts would you put in it? (could I have a fire shrimp??) Also I think(keyword think) I can grow something in it. Although I have no idea what.. I'm not sure what the fixture is.. I'll come to that on a later date, I wanna take this one very small step at a time.

So I think my first step is going to get some LR to start my cycle, correct? And some black sand. And I can use my FW API kit, I just email them and they send me a new card?

Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would really just put a few corals and some inverts, crabs and shrimp are cool, you might be able to get away with a neon goby, as they only get to about 2 inches
Old 01-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope, you don't need live sand, I believe that your black sand will become live after a while. I think black sand will look great!

You are correct in saying that your first step is to get some LR to begin your cycle.

I think a Fire Shrimp would be ok, but I could be wrong. What do you think of Anemone Shrimp, have you considered those before?

I hope this helps!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo
i would really just put a few corals and some inverts, crabs and shrimp are cool, you might be able to get away with a neon goby, as they only get to about 2 inches
Hmm, what shrimp and crab do you suggest? Along with corals?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea
Nope, you don't need live sand, I believe that your black sand will become live after a while. I think black sand will look great!

You are correct in saying that your first step is to get some LR to begin your cycle.

I think a Fire Shrimp would be ok, but I could be wrong. What do you think of Anemone Shrimp, have you considered those before?

I hope this helps!
So I need like 3 lbs? If even that? And if a fire shrimp would work that would be perfect!! Anemone shrimp are the same thing as sexy shrimp, right? They look the same
Old 01-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, what do I want in the filter? It seems to come with the general HOB stuff. Except for these little pellet type things, carbon for sw? Anyways, what do y'all run in your filters? Just pads to collect debris? Cause if I understand correctly the live rock is your primary biofiltration.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would put like 5-8lbs of live rock in the tank I would think the more live rock you have the more stable your parameters will be.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00youknowit00 View Post
Also, what do I want in the filter? It seems to come with the general HOB stuff. Except for these little pellet type things, carbon for sw? Anyways, what do y'all run in your filters? Just pads to collect debris? Cause if I understand correctly the live rock is your primary biofiltration.
You can usually use the standard HOB filter on a salt tank (that means you can use the carbon).

In my 34 gallon RedSea Max, I don't use carbon, I use filter pads to absorb the debris, and then the water goes through a protein skimmer.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs
I would put like 5-8lbs of live rock in the tank I would think the more live rock you have the more stable your parameters will be.
Okay, so my only concern is if I do 8lbs do you think it'd take up too, much room in the tank?

Tags
3 gallon, build, converting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com