Another lighting question/verification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, so, I think T-5's are the best and here's why I think so:

1. They penetrate deep and our tank is a 110 x-high
2. They produce less heat than VHO's and MH's
3. They can be upgraded if we ever decide to go with a reef tank (only live rock for now).

Ok, I want to get these babies ordered, so please let me know if my above statements are correct. If they are, please help me figure out how many T-5's or recommend a T-5 fixture with wattage that would do good in a 110 x-high FOWLR tank.

Thanks!!

How tall is a 100g tank anyway? Thought about PCs? With a 4x96w, wondering if that'll do OK for fish and low light need reef.

Ordered yet? Surpising no one has any input on T-5s

I'll have to ask Daniel how tall it is.

I am surprised too! Nope, not ordered yet!

Okay, here's my 2 cents worth. About a month ago I ordered and installed a T5 retrofit fixture in a wood canopy. It is 4 bulb 80 watt x 60" fixture with a polished reflector and electronic ballasts. 320 watt total. They get get HOT, really HOT. I've had to add a big fan just to hold the temp to 82°. I actually have a brand new MH fixtire I was going to install but now I'm scared. When we get our famous 115° July and August days I'm not sure what I'll do. My gut feeling is I'll eventually lose the canopy and buy an Orbit type fixture with mounting legs or hang pendants from the ceiling. I really like the looks of the wood canopy but there are issues involved.

Back
Top Bottom