Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-10-2004, 08:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Another moonlight question but a little different setup

I found these on Ebay and wanted to know if anyone was using them. I like them because it seems as though you would have more control over light placement. With each LED being bendable it would seem as though you could really fine tune the placement of the beam.

96p993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looks like they'll work as well as any other blue led. You can make them yourself for about $10-12.

indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
eeek! way over priced if you ask me. do like Indy said and go 100% DIY, or do like me and get a 'brick' of 3 LED's from www.xoxide.com , which aims the 3 LED's in the brick like this: / | \ (center points down, the ones on either side are 45 degree angles from the center light). I put 2 bricks in my 40gallon, and it's perfect.

Besides, they'll burn in a little and eventually you won't have a spotlight effect (which isn't the point of them in the first place) so being able to point them at a specific area will be a moot point...so why spend 2-3x as much $$ ?
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thanks for the link, malkore. Just ordered two of my own!
- Mike
125 gal. reef w sump/refugium & 8-bulb 640w T5's
45 gal fresh w/plants + CPF lighting
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
AllElectronics to the rescue: http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...-74&type=store

Another DIY source for random parts. You could also order the power supply/brick and resistors to make the $6 shipping worthwhile.
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a box of old electronic parts out in the garage including dc transformers of varying voltages. Dug through it for a bit, did the math and picked up a pack of resistors to drop the voltage down. I think I spent a total of $3 to put lights on my tank. I'm sure most folks have a couple floating around the house to broken toys etc. that can save you a few bucks.

indy is offline   Reply With Quote

light, moonlight, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com