Another newbie in the dark...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toonew2know

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I was just given 55 gallon tank w/stand and hood ( 2 24 +/- inch lights) a Fluval 304 with new media ( carbon-bio filtration media-and ceramic pre filter media) a 30/60 power filter, a pretty big power head, a 300 watt brand new heater and other extras. My brother took the liberty of setting it up.
He put 50lbs of "puca Sand" and the prescribed amount of sea salt in the tank. It has been running for a couple of days and the plumbing is good.

My question is now what.... :? I read salt water aquarium for dummies, but it left me with as many questions as answers.

I was told by my LFS to put a few damsels in now to "cycle" the tank.
I do not want to sacrifice these fish to start the process.
...Is there another way. :cry:

I guess I need a push in the right direction of what happens now and is my set-up enough, I was told it would work for a fish only aquarium.

I did a search here but its kind of analysis paralysis. :oops:

I would really appreciate any advice anyone could toss my way. I am pretty patient so... I am not in a hurry to throw fish in there.

again any help is greatly appreciated . :wink:
thanks, Paul

welcome. I would recomend reading all of the articles posted on this site. As well as The Conscientious marine Aquarist bu Robert M. Fenner. It really helps with good and bad livestock choices. You didn't mention it, but make sure you get decent water test kits. And find a good source of RO/DI water. Grocery stores and wal mart sell it for about 40 cents/gal.

I am pretty patient so... I am not in a hurry to throw fish in there.
You have mastered the first step, grasshopper :lol: The articles on this site should be very informative as well as this and past sw threads. As mentioned above feel free to ask any questions you have as you go along.

Back
Top Bottom