Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2004, 01:49 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

On your original plan: "fill tank, add salt" Mix the water and salt OUTSIDE the tank first, then add the salt water to the tank. Adding FW to the tank then mixing in the sand will lead to fluctuating salinity while you set things up and will just frustrate you. The FW will settle into the sand when you first put it in, then when you add the salt, the water in the sand will take a long while before it absorbs any salt (And therefore slow down the bacteria trying to populate it during your cycle). So, mix first, then add to the tank.

You mentioned adding a cleaner shrimp in phase one. I would hold off on the inverts until your cycle has been over for at least a week or two. Inverts (shrimps, crabs etc) are highly sensative to nitrates. Nitrates are the last to go in your cycle and the bacteria that removes them is the slowest to form.

In my 55 tank I used two 50 pound bags of SouthDown sand and got the perfect DSB. (4-5" I think) So two bags should be perfect for you as well. Rinsing the sand is a matter of opinion. There are those who perport the benefit of the silt sized grain on both the flaura and fauna that will reside in your DSB. I didn't rinse mine, only took a couple days to settle.

I would skip the bio-media in the canister filter. It will filter everything but nitrates and they will begin to accumulate and you'll end up just wanting to remove the media anyway. Plus, it will slow down the bacteria growth on your LR and DSB.

You have a plan for LR and base rock. You should pickyourself up 4 or 5 pounds of LS from an established tank. Please note I am NOT refering to the "live sand" they sell in a bag that sits on the shelf at the LFS. True Live sand from a LFS will come from a tank and will have bacteria, worms, little critters of all sorts (you may not see them when you scoop it up, but they're in there) and will seed your sand bed. If you can find any local hobbiest they may be willing to give/sell you a few scoops from their tank. Some groups even have sand swap meets every once in a while as you want your sand bed to be as diverse as possible.

Speaking of your sandbed population, you want gobies and blennys? depending on which kind, you may need to regularly "re-stock" your sand bed as some blennies/gobies will eat whatever they can find in the sandbed and will eventually clean your sand bed dry. You'll have to pick up little bags of "stuff" to repopulate your sand bed, such as "garfs'grunge"

Hope that helps! I'm assuming you've gotten yourself a good set of the basic test kits? hydrometer/refractometer? A great big plastic tub to keep RO water in at all times for top offs etc?

Old 09-13-2004, 01:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
Great tips!

great advice...

how worried should I be about DSB "crashing"? I was thinking of only 1 50lb bag for this reason.

If I skip the bio media in the canister, should I just sell off my canister? it's new in box. I was considering saving it for carbon only, but it looks like the remora can take a carbon bag, so I'm not sure this is important. I wish I had read this forum FIRST as I wouldn't have ordered it.

As to goby/blenny's, how can I tell when the sand needs to be replinished? isn't most of this stuff super small?

Old 09-13-2004, 03:43 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Re: Great tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiden
how worried should I be about DSB "crashing"? I was thinking of only 1 50lb bag for this reason.
Crashing DSBs are highly debatable. I've only been in SW for a few years so all I can say is, mine hasn't crashed yet (knocks on wood). Others have had a DSB for many years with no problems, others have problems after only a short while. I think there is a "cause" that no-one has been able to pinpoint yet. IMO, it is most likely too much stress on the DSB from bio-load and/or tank inhabbitants that depleat the DSB flaura/fauna. But, thats just my opinion.

Quote:
... should I just sell off my canister?
If it were mine, I'd sell it off and put that money towards a few more pounds of LR/LS.

Quote:
As to goby/blenny's, how can I tell when the sand needs to be replinished? isn't most of this stuff super small?
Here's a pic from my gallery. If you look close at the sponge on the left, you'll see a "bug" crawling on it. Thats the kind of stuff that lives in the LR/LS. They're copepods. The big opening of the spong in that pic is about 1/16th-1/8th of an inch. As far as when you'll know... That's going to be hard to tell. It will take a little while for the sand bed to be really well populated to begin with and how soon you'll need to replenish will depend on how hungry your gobies/blennies are
Old 09-14-2004, 12:22 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your goal is a reef with a light fish load, and your sand is truly live you should have no problems with your DSB crashing. You will need to replenish it as time goes by because it will slowly dissolve with a high PH. If you like a lot of fish and are prone to overfeeding go with a 1/2" or less.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com