Another Newbie w/ ?s :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchi0o2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone! :D I'm new to this forum, and I have some ?'s on SA's. I currently have a small FA which I love, and I recently have become interested in, and started researching, SA's. Here's some of the questions I have:

- Approximate cost? (Total/Tank/Filters/Salt/etc.?) (I've been thinking about tank around 55 g.)
- Filtration systems?
- Keeping salinity,pH,temp. constant?
- Protein skimmers? (Is there another method? If so is it more/less affective?)
- Live rocks vs. Sand vs. Something else (Mix?)
- Sizes of filters/skimmers/heaters?
- Lighting?
- Levels tests? Log books?

Those are mostly the areas I can think of now where I was wondering things. Thanks! :D

One question that I have is - If I decide not to purchase a protein skimmer, what would I need to buy to do what the skimmer does? Would that stuff be just as good as a skimmer?

I recommend a skimmer and LR. Nice filter systems will take bad stuff out of your water but you will constantly be changing media etc. I thank most here will agree a skimmer is the way to go. You would not need a filter with a skimmer unless you wanted a wet/dry with a sump to hook you skimmer to. (also recommend). As far as LR goes everyone on here will tell you to buy all the LR you can afford. preferably 1.5 to 1.75 lbs per gallon. Best thing for your tank. I also recommend sand as a substrate. CC catches to much garbage and in time can mess up your water. In short, ideally if I were you I would get a overflow (preferably a tank with one built in) wet/dry sump, skimmer, and as much LR as you can afford right now up to 1.5 -1.75 lbs pr gal

Approximate cost?
Typically $15-20 / gallon is a good estimate

- Filtration systems?
Really depends, but most use either canisters, hang-on-tank, fuges, or wet/dry

- Keeping salinity,pH, temp. constant?
Adding fresh water will keep the salanity constant much fluctuations are not to much to be concerned about. pH stays normal through regular water changes and a heater will keep the temp constant.

- Protein skimmers? (Is there another method? If so is it more/less affective?)

Protein skimmers are considered by most to be a necessity. Personally, I think it depends on how much and often you feed. Most new aquarists do overfeed so a skimmer should be on your list. Coralife and Aqua C Remoras are two good ones. Another method to skimming is the use of mangroves. They remove the nitrates and phosphates in the water and also help keep unwanted algae at bay.

- Live rocks vs. Sand vs. Something else (Mix?)
Not really sure the vs. LR is always a great idea. Sand is much better than crushed coral.

- Sizes of filters/skimmers/heaters?

Depends on the tank size, but if you do go with a 55, then a 10 gallon tank would suffice for a sump, fuge, or wet/dry. Typically, your sump size should be 1/5 of the tank size and water turn over should be 10-20 times the tanks volume per hour. If you're thinking a HOT, then I'd suggest two penguin 400 biowheels. a 200-300 watt heater would be big enough.

- Lighting?
Again this depends on what you eventually want your tank to be - Fish Only, Fish Only With Live Rock, or Reef. FO and FOWLR really don't need any special lighting. Standard compact flourescents will do. Reefs are really a much different story and I would suggest waiting on inverts until you get your fet wet. I use two 4 bulb coralifes on my 55 with FO and it's plenty.

- Levels tests? Log books?
Once established, testing is, IMHO, for a FO or FOWLR is a waste of time and money; however you must perform regular water changes. For reef, I'd suggest a nitrate kit and pH kit / alkalinity kit. You could get a calcium kit, but if you add too much calcium, it will just precipitate out - no harm no foul.

Suggest you do a lot of reading and research on this hobby before getting started. It will save you many headaches and lots of money. Good luck!

KG

look on the clsssified part of the forum, people sell their stuff really cheap

Back
Top Bottom