Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Another NOOB question

How does one get a newly acquired fish to start eating? Sometimes I'll acquire a fish that just doesn't want to eat no matter what. I've tried stuff like frozen brine shrimp, 4 different kinds of food (flakes/pellets), and dried food such as brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and krill.

Currently, I'm having trouble getting two wild caught ocellaris clowns and a tank bred ocellaris to eat.

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

sleeper417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Wait a bit for them to adjust to your tank. Ive never had a clown that wont eat.

AMDPhenomX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
When you buy a fish from a LFS ask them (politely) to feed the tank. Then pick a fish that is readily eating. If they are too busy or won't feed the fish then compare tank mates. Skip the ones that have skinny bellies.

Most fish won't eat right away. I always feed the tank before adding any fish I feel this will lead to less aggression by the established fish. Then don't feed the tank for a few days.

If the new fish is not eating for after 3 days I would start with live food. Brine Shrimp for small fish. Also you could try garlic, it's supposed to entice them to eat.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
ezy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with AMD, just wait a bit. Clowns are probably the most enthusiastic eaters you can get in this hobby. After a week or so and they are not eating, try soaking their food in some kind of garlic. I soak in Garlic Extreme which is made by Kent Marine and my mandarin goes crazy for the brine. You also will need to use vitamin enrichened brine if that will be one of the main diets for them as regular brine doesn't have the nutrients your fish need.
Any questions? Feel free to PM me.
Hitchhikers on live rock? http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
I bought two clowns, one last saturday, one this thursday.
they r both eating now, just give them sometime to adjust to your tank.
(soak your food with garlic if u want, I did that to mix the food for my fishes.)
they should eat like crazy after they get used to the tank. haha
Thanks to AMD, HN1, Zero, partypalooza, thincat, and thominil who helped me in almost every questions. Thanks everyone!!!!!
46gal Reef
match55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
They are wild caught says the poster. It could take them time to get used to their new surroundings. I won't go into if it legal to harvest them or not.
An odd number of clowns can possibly cause problems, with one of them being the third wheel and getting picked on.
I use garlic and soak the frozen food in it for a bout 20-30 minutes...there is no real scientific proof that this stimulates them to eat, but my fish go hog wild.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com