Another NOOB question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sleeper417

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How does one get a newly acquired fish to start eating? Sometimes I'll acquire a fish that just doesn't want to eat no matter what. I've tried stuff like frozen brine shrimp, 4 different kinds of food (flakes/pellets), and dried food such as brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and krill.

Currently, I'm having trouble getting two wild caught ocellaris clowns and a tank bred ocellaris to eat.

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

When you buy a fish from a LFS ask them (politely) to feed the tank. Then pick a fish that is readily eating. If they are too busy or won't feed the fish then compare tank mates. Skip the ones that have skinny bellies.

Most fish won't eat right away. I always feed the tank before adding any fish I feel this will lead to less aggression by the established fish. Then don't feed the tank for a few days.

If the new fish is not eating for after 3 days I would start with live food. Brine Shrimp for small fish. Also you could try garlic, it's supposed to entice them to eat.

I agree with AMD, just wait a bit. Clowns are probably the most enthusiastic eaters you can get in this hobby. After a week or so and they are not eating, try soaking their food in some kind of garlic. I soak in Garlic Extreme which is made by Kent Marine and my mandarin goes crazy for the brine. You also will need to use vitamin enrichened brine if that will be one of the main diets for them as regular brine doesn't have the nutrients your fish need.

I bought two clowns, one last saturday, one this thursday.
they r both eating now, just give them sometime to adjust to your tank.
(soak your food with garlic if u want, I did that to mix the food for my fishes.)
they should eat like crazy after they get used to the tank. haha

They are wild caught says the poster. It could take them time to get used to their new surroundings. I won't go into if it legal to harvest them or not.
An odd number of clowns can possibly cause problems, with one of them being the third wheel and getting picked on.
I use garlic and soak the frozen food in it for a bout 20-30 minutes...there is no real scientific proof that this stimulates them to eat, but my fish go hog wild.

Back
Top Bottom