Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Another protein skimmer question.

Ok ok, I'm sure you've all seen this question a million times. I know you all highly recommend getting a protein skimmer and I want to get one but a friend that works at a LFS brought up something that I never expected. I was gonna buy a skimmer they had at the store for up to 75 gallon tanks, I don't remember the brand or type. But anyway she stoped me from getting it saying that it wasn't adjustable and that it would take too much out of the water for my tank size.

So my question is what do I need? I've searched on line and none of them say if they are adjustable. I've got a 29 gallon tank, with 40 lbs of ls and 6lbs of lr (Yea I'm gonna be adding some more, just gotta save the money).

I've also got an Emperor bio wheel filter if that makes any difference. Will I be able to get rid of that filter when i get enough live rock?

I saw in someone else's signature line that they had a 29 gallon tank with aqua c remora skimmer is that one any good? Are there better options? I'm a complete newb at this so bare with me on the questions. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Skimmer manufacturers always overestimate their product. If it said 75 it was probably more like 40 or 50. And it was probably a Seaclone or a Visi-jet. That's what all the lfs sell here. The Seaclone is generally a waste of money for most people. If you get 1 1/2 to 2 pounds per gallon of lr, you won't need the power filter anymore. All protein skimmers are adjustable in some way or another. Some have adjustable air, some have adjustable water levels, but they all will only pull out of the water as much crap as you have. Bak-pak and remora are two good brands(or so I hear). I have a Jebo and it does well enough for me and was inexpensive.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

I would go with the Aqua C Remora as well, or the CPR Backpak. These come highly recommended for a tank this size. You will be glad you got a skimmer after you see what it produces!

Mike
Old 04-27-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd suggest the Cpr bak-pak...they are a little cheaper than Remora's and will still do a fine job of skimming a tank that size.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
zacdl

Im thinking of getting a visijet like I guess you saw. It used to be (Ive been checking this out) $50-60 list price, but so many people bought the thing its gone down in price since then.

I bet our LFS has it set at $100 (no kidding) if they have it.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SoylentGrundy
I've seen that Coralife is making protein skimmers now. Anyone tried one of their's yet? Seen one for around $125 and I've always thought well of Coralife products.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
zacdl

VisiJets are $40 or so I think,

Supposedly worse than my Berlin but I am sure it is quieter (Well actually the berlin isnt loud its the airpump that I use).

But its just a 30 gallon and I am not planning on coarls (Maybe a mushroom or polyp or something like that in the far away future, but nothing rare and hard to keep)
Old 04-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't used the Coralife skimmer yet, but I am waiting to hear from someone that has to see the results.

Mike
Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salttanker
I haven't used the Coralife skimmer yet, but I am waiting to hear from someone that has to see the results.

Mike
A lfs is selling the Coralife Super Skimmers, and have been sold out almost continuously. Word is they work very well.

Thread on another forum discussing these: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=563298

Bottom line is that they seem to perform very well, esp. for the price.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com