Another Question About Adding Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I asked before if I could add sand to my exsistiing tank with no problems. I found it was in deed OK. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but my blackfin shimp goby has dug out his passege ways quite well. Unfortunately he's pushed the sand out all the way to the bottom glass. At night the sump light comes through the holes, lighting it up under the LR. I can't get to these spots using a PVC pipe and dropping the sand in. Is taking the LR out my only option? If so, what's the best way to go about doing that, I'm limited to buckets at the moment.

I wouldn't even bother trying to cover it with sand, he'll probably just dig it out again. A much easier and less time consuming way to keep the light from bleeding through is to just get some of the cheap walmart aquarium background and tape the black side to the bottom of your tank. That should block out the light coming through. If thats to thin and still shows thru, you could always tape some cardboard behind that to block it out better.

But if you really want to cover it back up with sand, just throw your LR in a Tupperware tub and fill it with some tank water to keep your rock submerged. It will be fine for a while as you deploy your new sand and get it smoothed out. Then just place the LR back in the tank and refill with either fresh SW or the water you pumped into the Tupperware box.

I'm likin the cover idea. Don't know how I didn't think of that. Thank you. I think I was thinking there wasn't enough sand anyways (little less then1") and the spots made me think that was proof. How about just a piece of cardboard? I think I will do a little touch up with the pwr head. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom