Another question about taking sand from the beach!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tafranklin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK I know that it probably ISNT good idea to take sand right off the beach because of the pollution and stuff BUT can anyone tell me if I was to take the sand from the beach and then cycle my tank for a long time, like 2 months or more, would there then still be pollution in the sand? What about if I was to rinse it home and then let it dry out before I put it in my tank and start the cycle?

I am having a hard time finding sand that isnt a "arm and a leg" in cost!!

Just like the evaporation of your tank all the impurities will still be left behind just like the salt. This would remain true for a wash and dry attempt at cleaning, the rinse will hopefully remove some. Dillution would be the only way and who knows how long it may take for some toxins to leach out. Saltwater tanks in general are expensive and most who cut corners later regret doing it.

Your local home improvment store should have argonite/limestone based sand in 50lb bags for less than $7 a bag. Add to that a few pounds of real live sand and you have a thriving sand bed in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom