another question from freak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supafreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi again.....
i read a lot about ro water, and i'v talked to all the people in my aquarium society, and ifs's and i keep getting the same answer......tap water. Every aquarist i know is using tap water, some not even declorinated. I use declorination, but tap water just the same. I'v alwayse used it in my freshwater tanks, and for the last year in my marine tank. I'v had no problems. I'm just starting another marine tank (ah the natural progression; goldfish, tropicals; africans; then the inevitable marine)
i'm getting better lighting for this tank, and would like to try more of a variety of specimens. Is there anything i should deffently stay away from if i choose not to use ro water?
in my current cycled tank i have a tang, a clown, a damsel, an enenime and various crabs and snails. These guys do fine with my tapwater, but i'm thinking of other inverts. oh, and my tap water has ph of 7.5

If you live in a part of the world which has very good tap water, you're probably just fine. Test it and see is the best advice I can offer.

My tap water often comes in at 20 dKH, PH of 8.5. Its basicly moist rock. And Nitrates of 20ppm on avg. So RO is better for me :)

Watch out for metals (copper, lead, iron) from pipes.

yea defintly get your water tested for copper before you add any inverts. if you have even a slight trace of copper in your water it will be deadly to inverts.

thank you guys. I'll do that, although i don't think we have any copper, cause i'v been keeping inverts fine up to this point, but i just got a master test kit, and will test for everything

Back
Top Bottom