Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Another question on tank size...

What is the tank size minimum needed to be sure one can house any species of fish they want? For instance, would a 125g leave me wanting aside from the number of fish I can handle?

Also, I think I read somewhere it is better to have a longer and wider tank than a shorter taller one. What is the thought behind this?

Old 03-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tell this to everyone that is in the market for a new tank: "Get the biggest one your wallet will allow." A 125g is a good size, but you will eventually find yourself limited. I currently have a 90G, and I am going to get at least a 240+ tank for my new home in a few months. Longer a wider would be ideal for almost anything. Just remember, the initial setup of a larger tank will require more money invested towards this hobby. However, you won't regret it later.

Mike

Old 03-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: Another question on tank size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abemas
Also, I think I read somewhere it is better to have a longer and wider tank than a shorter taller one. What is the thought behind this?
More surface area for gas exchanges (O2 and CO2).

Rediculous example...
Tank #1, 1'x1' base and 16' high = 200 gal (ball-park number)
Tank #2, 4'x2' base and 2' high = 200 gal

Tank 1 only has 1 square foot of surface area
Tank 2 has 8 square feet of surface area
Old 03-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

don't forget tank depth affects lighting: deeper the tank, harder it is to light it throughout

Some corals and inverts yet to be identified!
nickthapainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salttanker
I tell this to everyone that is in the market for a new tank: "Get the biggest one your wallet will allow." A 125g is a good size, but you will eventually find yourself limited. I currently have a 90G, and I am going to get at least a 240+ tank for my new home in a few months. Longer a wider would be ideal for almost anything. Just remember, the initial setup of a larger tank will require more money invested towards this hobby. However, you won't regret it later.

Mike
Yeah I'd like to go as big as possible but what I am considering is sticking with something like a 125 until the day comes when I can afford (and have the home with the capabilites) to put a wall tank in. But then again maybe I should just go with a big free standing one initially and scrap the future wall tank out right.

When you say that a 125g limits you eventually...o you mean just as in the number of fish the tank can handle?

Tags
tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com