Another quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c-bass

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do most people paint the outside backwall for a solid background or use the "aquarium background" decor? I was thinking it may look nicer to paint it black then to use the shiny black plastic sheet. Any thoughts or recommendations? If paint is the way to go... what type, brush application? and is it possible to ever take it off if ever need be?

I have painted the glass dark blue in the past. I used a water based paint that you find at any hardware store. It actually comes off very easily. It kind of peels off. I just brushed it on.

Disclaimer: Paint the outside. :D

I have done both. Covered the top with saran wrap and used spray paint. stayed fine and came off easily, years later, just sprayed it off with a hose.

I have done both too, I sprayed my tanks this time. Got tired of the water marks on the back glass.

I knew you would Hara... it is all for you !!! You think brush lines would show up if I apply it that way? I think I could get a more accurate color I'm going for by using paint from a can rather than spray paint.

awww how sweet. as far as can or brush, i dont have a clue, i was afraid to try because i thought i would mess up.

I work at menards (home improvement center) and get tons of questions regarding painting certain kinds of things including glass. The represenitive of the paint manufacture says to use a fine bristtle brush, and not a cheapy. Cheap brushes will leave bristles that fall out. I would take reds suggestion and use a roller and lightly coat it will give you a better look or spray.

I actually had thought about this as well... even though my tank is already up and running. I'm thinking of just dropping a piece of plastic sheeting between the tank and the wall and moving all the equip from the back of the tank to the front till the paint dries.. and just using a small roller and paint the back of the tank... of course... I may just wait and see if I get a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom