Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Another Salt Question...

So I have a 28G JBJ Nano Cube on its way here and one of the last things I need to decide on is what salt to use. I have read many times that there is not really a best salt to get, but I am wondering about what type of salt would be most beneficial to my tank type. I am going to have a 28G FOWLR setup with a protein skimmer. I plan on keeping a few fish and some invertebrates as a clean up crew. So my question is, for the type of tank Iím going for would Instant Ocean be a good choice or should I go with a more reef type mix like Kent Sea Salt? Thanks a bunch for your time and help.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know there are different types of instant ocean salt. There is just like normal and then there is reef crystals. If you are going to use instant ocean and going reef then use the reef crystals. Other than that I do not believe the salts really differ other than if you are going reef or FOWLR

Old 03-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you said it yourself, etcool... "there is not really a best salt to get"... regardless of tank type.

My advice is always to find a salt that is easy for you to get, and doesn't cause you any problems. That will be YOUR "best" salt! There are some salts out there that are high in calcium, but low in other things. There are other salts out there that are lower in calcium, but more balanced in other things. There's a free "report" on this site, that gives some basic numbers for different salts:

Aquarium Water Testing

While there may be some questionable results in it, I think it does give you an idea of the relative parameters between salts.

For a FOWLR, I wouldn't have any issues recommending Instant Ocean - plenty of folks use it with no issues. I use the Instant Ocean "Reef Crystals", and have from day one. No issues from me.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #4

Ok sweet, thanks for the help!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

They all have their pro`s and cons. Their IMO is no ultimate salt mix. I use Oceanic because I like the higher calcium readings but suffer with the lower alk readings.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #6

Well I was more asking if I should go for a reef salt mix or just a normal sea salt mix for the tank Iím going for.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

To me they are all the same. Pick one and see how it goes. You can do a search on the site on marine salt mix. You can see who uses what and why.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etcool View Post
Well I was more asking if I should go for a reef salt mix or just a normal sea salt mix for the tank I’m going for.
You want a fowlr tank so there is no reason at all for you to spend the extra money buying the "reef" saltmix. Stick with the Instant Ocean, it is inexpensive and proven. I think you will be happy with that. The difference between the two is that the Reef Salt has added Calcium, Magnesium and trace elements for coral. You will not need those for a fowlr tank. If you end up buying corals down the road you can then consider switching to a reef saltmix, like Reef Crystals instead of Instant Ocean. Hope this helps
Old 03-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
They all have their pro`s and cons. Their IMO is no ultimate salt mix. I use Oceanic because I like the higher calcium readings but suffer with the lower alk readings.
What does the alk test at with Oceanic? I like Coralife becaues the Calcium is high and the alk is still around 9dkh.... Plus it is cheap at $40 per bucket with a free T-shirt. I prefer to be at 9 becaues it gives me room for error on both sides, incase something happens.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Oceanic should run about 580 calcium, 8.5 dKH alk and 1650 mag.
Coralife is 560 ca, 9 dKH alk and 1380 mag. Not alot of diff between them except for mag and Coralife used to be loaded with lithium...which is why Randy Holmes-Farley doesn't recommend it.

Synthetic Salt Mixes - Reef Central Online Community

I've used Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, Red Sea and Red Sea Coral Pro over the last 20 yrs. I now stick to regular Red Sea because it has parameters closest to what I keep my tank at. 400 calcium, 8 dKH alk and 1300 mag.
IO's alk(11 dKH) is too high for my liking.
RC's alk(13 dKH) and calcium(490) is too high for my liking.
RS Coral Pro's calcium(490) is too high for my liking.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com