Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-09-2004, 05:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks for the replies. I keep reading about these worms and pods that are supposed to be in my live rock, but I don't see anything. How big are the worms that you are seeing? Also, does SSB mean shallow sand bed and why would one want an SSB?

"The one who dies having the most hobbies wins" (me)
awillemd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hmm, it might be that your rock is only 'live' in the bacterial sense, and that your LFS dipped the rock to remove the extras. Or just never fed the other critters. I have 20+ featherdusters, some with 1"+ crowns, a ton of spaghetti worms (their sticky food grabbers going almost half the length of the tank), lots of worms in the substrate.

I have a SSB mainly for looks/cost. In a 55 you lose so much water volume doing a DSB Maybe I'll add a fuge to my sump system later.

55g reef, 2x250W 10k MH + 2x96W PC actninc, 10g sump, AquaC Urchin skimmer, 65lbs LR

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:58 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Will nassarius snails breed as well?
Not that I'm aware of.

LR will start to sprout many different things over time (measured in months). You can always order a detrivore kit (pods) from Inland Aquatics, ISPF or others.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to foma2000
my live rock took a long time to seed the sand bed. just give it time
there once was a kid named colin. he looked just like a gorilla. his name wasn't magilla, because it was colin.
foma2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
engineering gobies

I had 2 mated engineering gobies about 8" each in a former 46ga reef tank. They moved that sand around!!!!

They generally lived in a cave in the LR, but regularly came out with mouthfuls of sand. They also create crevices between rocks to move the sand around. Any corals on the sand were buried regularly so I had to move them up on the LR, but the gobies regularly swam to the surface with mouthfuls of sand straining them as the currents took the sand away onto the liverock as well.

I thought they were fun to watch, but they really messed up the corls world on my reef. Mine were huge though maybe smaller ones will do better for you.
sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
I thought I needed some larger creatures to sift through the sand to keep it somewhat stirred up.
goby definitely helps! Before I got my goby I had a big problem with algea on my DSB. Ive only had my orange spotted goby for about 2 weeks and my sands stays white all the time now. I also have a sand sifting starfish but the goby covers allot more area. the only negative about a goby is (as stated before) it will move sand where you might not want it. HTH
90 gal SW tank / cascade 700 canister fliter / Coralife super skimmer / 3x402 PH / 100lbs LS / 80 lbs LR / 30lbs base rock / 2x65w & 2x96w PC / 2 moonlights
PiscesLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:35 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
Plan well, the sand is going to cause huge problems when you add it if you do not take time and do it right. I added some Old Castle a few months ago and it took 2 weeks to see some of my rocks again, first cloudy water and then I had to keep blowing the sand off of them which clouded the water again. The next time I added the sand, I added it to a 5 gallon bucket, after washing thoroughly, and let it cycle with a power head for awhile. When I added this sand, no storm becasue it was already conditioned to go into the tank.

Hook'em Horns!
MadManMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com