Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another supplemental question!

Hello, my ? is about supplements. Here is my water parameters 2 days after 20% routine wc :
Temp=78
SG=1.022
AP saltwater master test kit
NH3/NH4=0
NO2=0
NO3=between 5 & 10
pH=8
Red Sea test kits
Ca=350
PO4=.1
pH=8
Alk=(this is what the color card says) between normal & high-closer to high
My tank is a 75g about 6 weeks old, I just added some more live rock for a ttl of 65lbs & 60lbs CC. eventually I want to have corals but I’m going to go slow and get very used to saltwater first. Now I have 2 clowns, going to get a few snails and hermit crabs in the next few days, and in a week or two I will get a tang. I’m trying to boost growing coralline algae and a big rock I have is covered in green macroalgae. My lfs guy recommended only using Liquid Reactor (Kent) Here’s my ?’s.
What would be an optimal Ca level
Would the Liquid Reactor be enough
Should I also use Iodine
Any suggestions on supplements to use

Also on an unrelated topic- would there be anything wrong with dissolving the salt in a little bit of hot water when mixing In a separate mixing container of course. Would the heat hurt any of the good stuff in the salt
Thanks very much,
Mike

Old 04-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What would be an optimal Ca level
350-450 ppm. Ca and Alk are closely related. I suggest you get an Alk test kit that gives exact numbers like for ex. Seachem and Salifert brands.
Quote:
Would the Liquid Reactor be enough
I don't like that product at all! For one it completely clouds the tank and takes awhile to clear up. A balanced two-part additive like B-Ionic would be much better.
Quote:
Should I also use Iodine
No! PWC's should be enough to keep up w/ the tanks demand-especially since it is not heavily stocked w/ inverts. DO NOT dose anything you don't test for! Iodine can be lethal at even slightly elevated levels.
Quote:
Any suggestions on supplements to use
Right now, w/ no stoney corals just LR/coralline and fish, you have very little demand or draw on your Ca/Alk and other chemistry levels. Weekly 10-20% PWC's will keep everything were it needs to be.
Quote:
would there be anything wrong with dissolving the salt in a little bit of hot water when mixing
I'm not sure.
HTH

Old 04-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I saw your question and was going to answer it. I got called away and when I got back MT had already answered it. I will add you may also want to look into Kalk instead of liquid reactor. Really no right or wrong answer here. Also I do not think mixing salt in hot water would cause a problem. However why would you want to? If you mix your water correctly for 24 hours prior to putting it in the tank to oxygenate it, the salt will be dissolved. Seems like a waste of time and energy.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:20 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with MT that PWC in your case will be plenty. It will have all the supplement you need.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do a 20% vac/wc every week so I guess what you guys are saying is that I really don’t need to change anything. I agree about the Alk test kit- you need an actual reading, but I ordered that one and didn’t know, I will get another brand.
What about when I get some snails and hermit crabs- will the pwc still be enough?
Thanks for the help, I don’t want to mess anything up or add stuff I don’t need,
Mike
thanks again
Old 04-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What about when I get some snails and hermit crabs- will the pwc still be enough?
Yes

Tags
supplement

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com