Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-01-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Another victim of PH negligence.

Well I picked up a AquaClear 401 yesterday because my rock was coming and I wanted something with a bit more flow and then my QT tank could get that crap Power Sweep. Anyways I got home and realized that they didn't include a foam cap and I forgot to purchase one. Being the person I am I put it in anyways and watch the fish closely for the next 20 min (there is just a Valentini (sp?) Puffer, and a Niger Trigger). Everything looks ok... they both seem to be intriqued by the new ph but swim around it. Anyways the first second I take my eyes off the puffer gets stuck to it. I run over thinking he is dead and pull every plug in my powerstrip out. I dislodge him from the PH and of course he blows up like a balloon. After he calms down he seems to be not too too bad... he has a ring from the PH and was breathing heavy but I assume that is just because he was traumatized. He seems to be pretty well the rest of the day and even sleeps like normal on a rock at night. This morning I wake up and he is dead. I only wrote all this to warm any NOOB such as myself that being unprepared is a big risk in this hobby. I had already planned on buying the filter but I didn't think it was somethign that couldn't wait a few hours or even until the morning. Well lesson learned and now Puffy suffered the concequences.

MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
We have a puffer at home.
My son named him Popeye. He's one of our favourite fish. I have screens over our intakes but I will take another look to see if they are adequate. With those little fins, it wouldn't take much.
What do you think caused the death of Puffy? Internal injuries? Stress as a result of an almost Nemo-like accident? Jeff

In theory there should be no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Cafe Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
He did have slight fin damage but it was def something internal or stress because he had a bit of discoloration and swelling around that area and he was breathing heavy for hours.
MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry to hear about your loss.
I am sure we have all done something worthy of the NOOB tag.
Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com