Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2004, 10:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Any ideas

Hey all

I got a few ideas of my own but all others greatly accepted.
I'm setting up a 6x4x3 apporx. 1700LTRS and wanting to know what filtration and skimmer would do the best job.
It will be setup as a mini reef and thus far unsure about fish combo but would like wrasse, surgeon, butterfly etc along with inverts, anemones and corals.
I would also love some advice on lighting (type and wattage) i was thinking maybe 2x halogen vapour lamps (150 W) and 2x blue lighting Duplalux Coral which will be suspended from the ceiling.

Thanks in advance
Nick

Old 04-18-2004, 10:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

For everyone that doesn't use the metric system, 538 gallons. Hardly a mini-reef if you ask me. Butterfly might be a problem, they tend to nip on corals. Suspended from the ceiling? What ceiling, the tank top? Filtration and skimmer, depends on if you do go with LR, LS, Corals, or anenomes and inverts.

Old 04-18-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

When your not from the US to sorta tend not to use the frickin metric system. As i said not sure on what type of fish are going in (the tank has got to be setup first).
And lastly the ceiling of MY HOUSE the ROOF if you wish.yes it will have around 80-100 kilos of LR and will be using crushed coral.

Nick
Old 04-19-2004, 12:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

538gallon sw?? Wow u must be a millionairre Buterflys should never be kept in a coral reef, they will nip/eat corals and inverts. And 4 150watts for a 538gallon to keep some corals?? You could get shrooms (Dont require light) and have them enjoy.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Or duaumun had typo?? 53gal?? If so then your lighting would be fine
Old 04-19-2004, 04:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

if that is 500 gallons, be aware of providing a strong enough floor to support a large SUV!

Im sure your already aware
Old 04-19-2004, 11:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterTeen
538gallon sw?? Wow u must be a millionairre Buterflys should never be kept in a coral reef, they will nip/eat corals and inverts.
Gotta disagree with you. Heniochus butterflies can be kept in reef tanks. there is a certain type that is exclusively plantonic. It accepts frozen foods easily and does well in captivity once its past the initial introduction stage.

Its pretty easy to tell which one is the plankton eater. If you look at the fish as a triangle, nose to the right... so it would look like I> , the middle black stripe should end right at the 3rd point. Count clock wise from the top. 1, top point...2, right point....3bottom point. #3 is where the black stripe should end.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:04 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

1700 liters is actualy around 450 US gallons (1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters) so it's not 538 gallons but still quite a large tank.

Firstly, Welcome to AquariumAdvice Nico

We are a family oriented and friendly site. Everyone here is here to help each other and learn from one another.

with LR and LS that will handle the majority of your filtration naturaly. But you will probably still want a skimmer, I hear good things about the AquaC skimmers (but I don't know if those are available in your neck of the planet ) For your size system you might even consider the cost benefit of building a DIY skimmer, they're not too tough.

And I would agree, for that size tank 2x150w MH likely won't be enough for many corals you'll want. You mentioned your tank would be 6 by 4 by 3 (Assuming meters) would that be 6 long, 4 wide and 3 deep? a 3 meter depth is very deep.... wait.. i just did some math... 6x4x3 meters is 7200 liters... are those measurements in english feet? if so then your tank volume would be closer to duaumun's 540 us gallons

anywho... 3 feet is still somewhat deep. the bottom of your tank will not have very strong lighting. What i've seen on some overviews of very large tanks is they keep them wide and long, but rather shallow and place a 250w MH for every 3 or 4 square feet.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

The dimensions he gave me i plugged into the calculators. Oh well. Gonna need some big strong powerful humongous, well you know, lights.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com