Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2003, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

any ideas?

ok I'm trying to figure out what fish to add next and I need some ideas. I have a 125gal reef w/ 20gal sump (= about 140 total gal) and somewhere around 175lbs live rock. I have a yellow tang, kole tang, maroon clown, clarkii clown, false percular clown, mandarin goby, domino damsel, and a striped damsel. I'm looking for a 'showpiece' -- one large fish to compliment the tank. any suggestions?

i'm aiming for no more than 28" of fish and i currently have about 15" not including tails.

Old 06-01-2003, 09:33 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Is this a reef? If not, I would suggest a large angel, like an Emporer, or a Navarcus or a Regal.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 09:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I second emperor, or maybe a Koran?
Old 06-01-2003, 10:20 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
pssst guys, he says "reef" in the message.....

my vote is for a lionfish
Old 06-01-2003, 10:24 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, I guess my wife was right....I don't listen

Old 06-01-2003, 11:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

i thought about a lionfish, but I don't want to keep up with it's food requirements, as they take a little time (plus I already spend enough time feeding my seahorses). I really wish I could get an angel -- especially a bluefaced or an imperator (my 2 fav. fish), but it's not worth risking all my coral on one that might take a liking to it. the only thing that I can think of is a large blonde naso tang with tail streamers...any other thoughts?
Old 06-01-2003, 11:49 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
any other thoughts?
Nope, personally I think your tank is done for tangs, but no judgements , the problem is, big usually = predatory. The only other reef safe options are Tangs, and some angels. I have read of Regals being kept in reefs and I personally have kept a med sized Navarchus (Majestic) in a 150g reef with no coral fatalaties....

Old 06-02-2003, 01:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

IMO your current stocking level sounds good, but if you are determined to add something else, look into some of the angels from the Genicanthus genus. Fairly strict planktivores, they are the most reef safe angel you could hope for, and they stay relatively small (for the larger angels). My experience has been that if kept singly a male will usually revert back to female coloration, so don't bother shelling out the extra money for a male unless you are attempting to keep a harem (which I really wouldn't advise with your current fish load).
Old 06-02-2003, 04:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for the help! I'll definitely look into the angels you all suggested...just to let you know reefrunner, the only reason I am considering ANOTHER tang is b/c the tangs that I have now are very docile. I did have a powder blue tang as well and they got along great, but he died recently of ich. the naso tang is the only one that I would consider getting b/c the ones I've kept in the past seem to get along pretty well with other tangs, so long as they are about the same size (although I'm sure that there are exceptions.

thanks again...this site rocks!
Old 06-03-2003, 09:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

How about a hippo or sailfin tang? By the way, when your current fish grow, you will have about the 28" of fish your looking for.

Brian

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Naso tangs | corals »