Any one here ever put a trigger in a reef???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So has anyone here ever put a trigger in a reef?

If so what kind?

I am really thinking about putting a niger in my 72 when it gets set up.

I had a trigger in a FOWLR tank and he put a couple nice deep holes in some rock. I'm sure he could tear up some coral if he wanted also.

My Picasso Trigger loves to grab a bunch of sand in his mouth and move it. My tank use to have a nice level sandbed, but now has a bunch of craters and hills. He actually caused one of my baseball size live rocks to move 1/2-inch.

He reminds me of my Siberian Husky, a heck of a digger.

We had a niger in our 130 at my office with several soft corals and he never bothered them. He was however rather aggressive towards other fish in the tank. We took him back to the lfs so we could have a more peacefull tank.

watch any inverts such as snails crabs and shrimp they would more than likely become a expensive sushi bar buffet for him.

So it's just an issue of inverts and small fish?

If it's just a question of weather or not I have to replace my cleanup crew every once in a while I'll have one for sure......

I heard of triggers in reef tanks that never bothered any corals (surprising IMO). Of course, as mentioned above, they will take out any small inverts (snail, shrimp crab, starfish). HTH

I had a Blue throat in my fowlr with inverts, no shrimp... And he never bothered them. IMO I don't think a small/med trigger could crush a shell.
There are 4 triggers that they say are reef safe..
Niger, blue throat, cross hatch and saragaussa (sp)
My BT was peaceful but not all are.... Good luck.

I had a Picaso and Clown Trigger for a while and they seem to destroy the landscaping and sandbed almost daily even though they might not eat the coral they might rearrange the rocks so that the coral gets crushed or smothered, you might be better with like a niger since they are not quit as active but guess theres only one way to find out

I have had a niger trigger in my tank for about 6 weeks now with no problems. Also put a bicolor angel in as well as a golden tail moray. Becareful with the triggers there only a few that are reef safe.

I think niger triggers are so pretty!!!

My husband and I dive and I have seen triggers in nature just tear into some coral. It is crazy!

Back
Top Bottom