Any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any suggestions on how I can clean an old fish tank without using harsh abrasives? I want to remove hard water stains etc.

You could try rinsing with a white vinegar solution...that is a rather mild cleaner and may disslove some of the stains...or go to your LFS and look for some cleaners there are many out there that are just for that purpose. Just make sure you rinse the tank out very well when finished. If the tank is acrylic also be sure to use sponges or scrubbers that are non-abrasive.

Fill the tank with water, dump in a gallon of white vinegar, and throw in a pump to keep the water churning. Next day, the deposits inside the tank will be soft enough to wipe off. For deposits on the outside, spray with vinegar and let it sit a while. You may have to spray it several times but the vinegar will eventually eat through the deposits and you'll be able to wipe them off as well. You might want to do this outside or in the garage. I found out the hard way that wives don't like to come home to a house that smells like vinegar. And I can also tell you that the line "But honey, it's a clean smell" will not work so don't bother. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom