Any suggestions fish-wise for a 45G tall tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone I have been doing some research and discovered that sea horses may not be too possible as their feeding habits require a lot of attention, which would mean I would have to be home 24/7. I have just started cycling the tank (poured in salt today, and gave it "go-juice"). Currently I am home from college for the week, ug.. rough morning included having my lighting set up blow and a HOB filter die... luckily it wasn't my XP3 canister filter! But basically I am interested in getting a fish, want to make a species tank with either a single or two fish.

My experience includes 2 years of freshwater, and 1 year of brackish water tanks... kept fish from Dojos to Oscars to puffers, etc.

In my tank is regular aquarium sand (50 pounds), possibly driftwood (currently being cured, so its an open option but they form great caves!), a 300 watt marinland visi-therm heater, a Filstar XP3 canister filter, will add on a HOB filter to replace the one I lost, and as for lighting... its in the air, but will most likely be some what low light... like 1.4 watts per gallon (my prior light set up). My pH will be around 8.0-8.3, salinity will supposedly be around 1.020-1.022, and still cycling (has a little less than 3 weeks or so).

So... have at it and thanks! :)

You really need some live rock in that tank to help with filtration. That would be way more important than an HOB.

You mentioned cycling with go-juice? Most people suggest the cycling with a dead shrimp method. It is cheap and easy. Add one dead store bought shrimp, let rot, it starts the nitrogen cycle. Do tests and add fish when ready.

yeah go-juie is some really raunchy stuff but it gets the job done very well, don't need to use a dead shrimp from what I understand. I do plan on getting live rock, just was listing what is vcurrently in the tank.

any suggestions for a saltwater resident?

You could also use the new Saltwater Bio-Spira for cycling. So far (only 10 days so far for me) all my levels are holding around 0 with three fish.

You can order it online here:
http://www.fishstoretn.com/

Shipped cold packed, 2 day deliver and ready to use.

Well according to what I said above...

Aggresive, not shy, some personality, semi easy to feed, but can be a challenge to take care of if need be (like if prone to disease etc), any size that will be comfoprtable in a 45G tall tank (hence the single species deal), colorful (considering its a saltwater fish :wink: ), and I guess thats it..

I liked the box fish because they are pretty (colorful wise and cool shape), they don't seem to be scared of much (so I can actually seem him/her!) but from what I see they get huge and would not fit in my tank.. like rodney's avatar. I also don;t know much of their feeding behavior. I also liked some gobies but they like to hide from what I saw in my friends tank... sheesh so complicated :p

Boxfish are of course one of my favorites. I don't believe you specified your tank size. If it is at least 50 gal, and depending on what you have in it, then you can have the spotted boxfish variety. They are like you said, not shy at all and I use to hand feed mine. Although, you must be careful as they have teeth and can miss and nip at your fingers. LOL.

Another hardy, colorful and full of personality fish I am currently trying to get my hands on is the Flame Hawkfish. I highly recommend one of these guys and the minimum tank is 30 gal.

Another great find for 50 gal tanks is the spotted puffer or Valentino puffer, although they can nip at long-fined fish so becareful. They are full of personality and can be hand fed as well.

I hope that helps...

LOL..sorry possum.

Correction on the puffers, a Saddle Valentini puffer can be kept in a minimum of 30 gallons. The Saddle puffer, blue dot puffer, spotted puffer and also the Honeycomb puffer can be kept in a mininum of 50 gal.

Now I want a puffer. :lol:

We've got a flame hawkfish in one of our marine tanks, and it has to be my favorite fish.. When we first got him, he wouldn't eat anything but frozen foods. Gradually, he began to accept flake, along with the other fish. He waits (impatiently) from his perch every morning and afternoon for his very favorite - mysis shrimp.

Hmm.. well after much looking around and reading ALL of the fish only posts I am now deciding between a puffer (valentini or helmet cowfish) or an eel (snowflake). Based on the above conditions.. what do you think would be more fun to have? My reasons for wanting a puffer is that they aren't afraid of much, love their personalities, and I could put in sand shifting gobies or something to help with the sand bed movement. I like th eel because they are really cool looking, I supposedly could put in a sum of shrimps if I need to go for a few days and can't get anyone to feed it (wondering if I could do that with the puffer... would make it more wildlife like where he would have to hunt for them in the live rock). Thanks everyone for reading!

All three are good options. You need to becareful with the eel. They are master escape artist from what I have read, so you need a secure tank lid of sorts.

The cowfish will reside mostly at the top of the tank. The puffer will explore all the tank, so that might be something to keep in mind.

well hopefully my LFS (which is pretty decent saltwater only shop) will have soemthing to my liking puffer-wise. Can't really think what else would go into my tank set up. What do puffers like in general in their envronment? I have 2.8 watts of PC light, and will be putting in LR soon

Back
Top Bottom