Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

any thoughts on premixed salt water?

Setting aside cost, for the moment, what's the consensus on using premixed salt water from LFS? The kind that you basically warm to the correct temperature and add directly?

Is this better / worse / the same as mixing your own?

Old 02-16-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If they are using RO/DI water and you are not, it would be better than mixing your own with tap water. Other than the source of water they use, its just water and salt mix, same thing you can do yourself

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

What about a commercially available product advertised as ocean water (not mixed but actually taken from the ocean), that is sterilized & filtered?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The things that I don't like about store bought pre-mixed SW are the things that I can't control. What kind of salt do they use? What is the SG they mix it to? What is the TDS of their "RO/DI"? I'd just as soon mix it myself. Pick the brand of salt I want to use, know that I'm starting out with pure water and not have to add salt to get the water up to the SG that I want to keep my tank at. Inconvenience is a big factor too. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd use tap to mix my own over LFS bought water (and did for a few months until we got our RO/DI installed).

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have used lfs store sea water before, they say its direct from the ocean and its filtered, when i used it i had great results, but at a hefty 9.00 per 5 gallons....i recently switched to pre-mixed ro/di water from my other lfs at 1.00 a gallon at 1.022 salinity...this is only temperary as in Aug ill be buying my own system...

doug
Old 02-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I first started my 10 gal. nano reef I bought some of that stuff that comes in a box and says it's straight from the ocean. IMO, it's way too expensive and only good if you're lazy (and yes I was lazy) and have a nano tank.

Tags
salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com