Anybody familar wth boxfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkkky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a boxfish in a 75 gallon tank withonly 5 other small fish. He keeps getting ick we now have him in his own 20 gallon tank with a copper based med it has rocks in the bottom and a big decorative shell. It is his second time there he gets better then when we move him back into the big tank he icks up again. The 75 gallon tank has live sand, coral and rock in it. We also have 2 hermit crab and 3 little snails. He still eats and swims around alot even in the big tank when he gets the ick. Anybody familiar with boxfish.

The ich is in the DT, too. Your other fish may get it also. You need to treat the DT, too. Plus a 75 is way to small for a boxfish, could be stressed and causing its immune system to lower and get ich. they are recommended for 125g or larger.

You could, optionally, remove the fish from the DT for an extended period (I've heard one to two months) and let the ich die off while medicating. The advantage to this is any invertibrates you have or might want to get won't be potentially poisoned by the med's (Depending on what you use. Actually, are their invert safe meds for ich. I've never been sure.)

Edit: I meant while medicating ONLY the QT. Ich needs fish to live, so given enough time it dies out.

we didnt research it first and the fish guy didnt say anything when we were talking to him. but the little guy does great in the 20 gallon by himself. should we just keep him there

Short term you "could" but they turn into one foot basketballs who release poison when stressed. It is at best temporary. You will need to upgrade quick before self defense mechanisms alone kill him and tank mates. Heck, transferring the big ones is likely a risk since that likely inspires a release of toxin.

Frankly, he needs a new tank or a new home asap.

Also, for the record, most places I've researched the boxfish say a 55 is large enough, but only with a few peaceful tank mates at most and ideally as a species only tank. Depending on the tankmates you MIGHT be okay in the 75 (I know others will debate this, but me and my wife have done some research on this simply because she wants one REALLY baddly). That would likely depend on your stocking list, but even worse case you probobly have a bit of time to find another, or a lager, tank once you're done with hospitalizing him.

Back
Top Bottom