Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Anybody mixing Reef Crystals and Instant Ocean

I have been using Reef Crystals in both of my tanks however my 90 gallon is a FOWLR and wander if its necessary to spend the extra money on reef crystals or if I could mix RC with Instant Ocean. I've been using RC exclusively for about 9 months but was at a store today that was selling instant ocean 160 gallon buckets for 39.99 with a 10.00 mail in rebate. Seemed like a good deal. What are your guys thought of maybe mixing half and half reef crystals with instant ocean. Thanks for the input and advice.

smoothie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Kinda depends on how often you do water changes, what you keep in the non fowlr tank as far as corals and how much of a water change you do. If you are keeping corals that are consuming the elements in the reef crystals then you dont want to mess with that, or you can do more frequent changes with the non reef crystals. i have 3 32g brute cans so i usually have one with reef crystals and one with regular I/O for my fowlr tanks. I sometimes will use the reg i/o for the reef but not too often, maybe 1 out of 8 changes I will use the reg salt. But I feel ya on the price, its crazy how much cheaper the reg can be if you catch a sale. Its like 36$ on amazon last i checked.

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If you only have fish, it doesn't matter what salt you use. You can mix and match salts with no problem at all. you can also change salts abruptly with no Ill effects.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

crystal, instant ocean, mixing, reef, reef crystals, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com