Anyone ever used a black light in their light setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was talking to a guy at my lfs today, and we were chatting about light setups. He told me he runs T5HO lighting, but in the 6th slot, he runs a a 48" black light to make the coral colors really "pop". Anyone ever heard/tried this approach? I thought it was kinda interesting and when he showed me some photos from his cell phone his corals really do stand out ALOT! I mean his hammer corals and frog spawns were bright bright green and some of his zoas had an awesome blue glow.

Never used a black light but actinics will make corals pop and will good for the corals also as black light will not benefit your corals.

Never used a black light but actinics will make corals pop and will good for the corals also as black light will not benefit your corals.

This is true, but it was just something I had never heard of before and judging from the lack of responses I'm guessing not many others have either lol. Maybe the guy is crazy, who knows, but I have an old black light and I think I'm gonna plug it in and check it out and see if there is a difference in person.

A black light emits uv radiation, which is usually not a good thing. No way would I expose my tank to it.

I've seen it. People I know that do it only do it for show - turn it on, take a pic or let some one see it, and turn it off. From what I've read long-term exposure is bad for your fish.

yeah i have heard that it is bad and can damage you corals and more from long term exposure. i would sugest against it

Back
Top Bottom