Anyone know??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrossRamZ11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi People,

Just a quick question, I my tank has been up and running for about 2 onths now, and all is well...I have noticed one thing I would like some advice on though. I have noticed white dots appearing on the back and side glass of the tank, they almost look like small calcium deposits, are these from critters that cruise the glass, or something else?

Thanks!

Could be a few different things. My first guess would be Spirorbid worms, which are tiny feather dusters. Do you have a magnifying glass you can look at them with? These would tend to have a spiral/"curled" shape.

Another possibility is hydroid jellyfish - up close, these would appear to be spider-y - having "legs".

Another thought is the beginnings of some lighter-colored coralline algae.

If you want pics of the spirorbids or hydroids, let me know.

Thanks!

Thanks for the prompt reply.....I do not have a mag glass, but I will pick one up....I have quite a few of these "dots", for lack of a better description, it almost looks like Ick, only on the glass....If they are as you describe, are they detrimental? Should I be scraping them off of the glass?

Thanks! :)

Here's a pic of Spirorbid worms:

attachment.php

Up close:

littspir.jpg

Some info. on them here (they are harmless, and common in new tank setups): Reefkeeper's Guide to Invertebrate Zoology: Part 10: Sedentary Polychaetes, Con't.

See the section on Spirorbidae

Here's a pic of the Hydroid Jellies:

RStaurocladia.jpg

More info. here: "Dots with Legs" - Odd Critters, Dr. Ron Shimek

Coraline would tend to have a pink-ish color, and look more like a splotch on the glass (it always reminds me of fading/peeling paint spots).

In any case, none of the above three are harmful.
Maybe someoneone else has some other ideas? Any snails in the tank? Could be some sort of snail egg??

Back
Top Bottom