anyone know this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I've seen it looks exactly like a thornback. I tried to post a picture of one from live aquaria but it didn't work. Its also known as a helmet cowfish. Liveaquaria says 1' and 70 gallons. If you look up thornback cow fish there is one picture that looks just like your fish. I don't think it is a longhorn, but I could be wrong.

I don't have any marine tanks(yet) but that is one cool looking fish.(y)

Thank you all so much for your help! I have had this guy for about 3 weeks and could not figure out what he was. Now i can do more research to make sure this guy stays happy and doesnt poison my tank.

Swimzebras dont be jealous lets hope this here beginner can handle such an amazing fish. The guy at the pet store sold him to me and made it sound very easy. He wasnt eating so i got worried. I tried flake, then frozen brine, sea weed, finally tried live blood worms. Noticed he really liked those but the other fish were stealing his food. Poor little guy isnt fast enough and the current blows him around. So we are hand feeding him. He eats the worms right out of our fingers. Im very happy i bought him. He has been a handful. I just hope i get it right.

So seems to me he will only eat blood worms. Just a tip if anyone is wanting to get one. Very happy playful fish. He is my favorite. And i have a high current tank he does very well in.

ForumRunner_20130326_235146.jpg

ForumRunner_20130326_235157.jpg

New addition to the tank! Love the green glow of my coral!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130326_235134.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130326_235134.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 61
I googled the longhorn cowfish's scientific name (Lactoria cornuta),
then just entered the first part(genus) and then went through them until I think I found a winner:dance:

could it be a thornback cowfish (Lactoria fornasini)?
you can see the little thorn poking up.

Attachments

• Thornback.jpg
    Thornback.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom