Anyone run a vent fan in their canopy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
With the addition of more light I have a good bit of heat. I am thinking of running a vent fan from the canopy to outside. I would cut a intake to pull air in from under the house since it is cooler in the summer. I would also make it so it will blow the warm air in the house during winter since the tank keeps the room warm. Anyone do this or see a problem with it?

i mounted my two MH ballast in my stand. there is a small computer fan between each one and the side wall of the stand. the side wall has vents cut in so the heat from the ballsts blows out. it is a nice little foot warmer when sitting in the chair next to the fish tank. :D

i dont see a problem with your idea. maybe just be cautious of the air you are pulling from under your house. it might sound a bit paranoid but i would at least check for radon and possibly mold you may be sucking unto your house via your vent.

steve r

I've seen a lot of canopy's that have 2 fans, one blowing air into the canopy, and the other sucking air out. Makes for great air flow, and therefor great cooling.

I have 2 80 mm fans blowing out that run all the time. I have a 120 mm fan blowing in that runs when the MH's are on. Would not be able to keep temps down otherwise.

Should be easy for you to do.

I currently have fans blowing in and some blowing out. I am talking about venting the air out of the house and pulling fresh air from under the house.

What are you trying to say ellisz :) It is fine now. My heat downstairs does not come on unless it drops below 55 outside. I just keep ceiling fans on low to keep the air moving. I am thinking about the summertime. My central air runs non-stop. All the MH ballast and lights, pumps, etc put off a ton of heat.

Just messing ;)

I have a similar issue. I have my tank heaters cranked to keep my temps at a decent level. We tried to keep the house warm last summer to conserve energy but next year, I might not be able to do that. Got to keep the livestock happy :)

My tank is in the same room as my computer so it is a warm room.

If your taking air from under the house I would make sure its filtered some how. If its damp there may be mold down their and Im sure that would mess with the tank in some way.

Back
Top Bottom