Anyone suggest good food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esaone

Aquarium Advice Regular
I use NLS in my freshwater tanks w/ Omega One flake.
What should I use in the marine tank?

I just ordered some of the flakes and pellets.....cool.

What do you have in your tank? Remember...variety is the key. Flake is easy put also is pretty high in PO4. I use it very little. High quality frozen food is a bit better. It can be thawed and rinsed to eliminate much of the PO4 and NO3. In addition to foods it is also important to add dietary suppliments to the food. Most prepared foods do a very poor job of providing vitamins, ameno acids or HUFAs. Products like Selcon, Vita-chem and a garlic suppliment can go a long way to improve the health and coloration of your fish.

What do you have in your tank? Remember...variety is the key. High quality frozen food is a bit better. Products like Selcon, Vita-chem and a garlic suppliment can go a long way to improve the health and coloration of your fish.
Just curious what frozen foods you feed your fish and how it is prepared. And do you soak the frozen foods in The Garlic suppliment? I would like to give my clownfish some variety and wonder which frozen food he would most likely prefer. Probably something small and easy to digest buy unsure which one and how to administer the Garlic suppliment exactly. Haven't really researched it buy I am sure its a great thing to do for my fish

dosent n.l.s make marine food i have seen pics of marine fish on the nls websight and they look stunning

I use both Emerald Entree and Prime Reef frozen cubes by Ocean Nutrition. I also throw in some mysis on occassion. To prepare I add a couple of cubes to a brine shrimp net then run RO/DI water over it to thaw. Let it set and drain a a bit then rinse again. In a small container, I add the thawed food, a couple frops of garlic extreme (Kent), a little vita-chem and Selcon, some ZooMax and some DT's phyto. Mix it up and let it soak in a bit. To feed, I use a 10 ml syringe. Turn off the return pumps from my sump, add a little tank water to the food to thin it out then squirt into various areas of the tank. I also provide nori (Sally's Seaweed Salad) for my tanks just about every day. HTH.

I agree with Brian that variety is the key. I feed mine Flake, Mysis, vitamin fortified brine and seaweed selects. Occasionally I`ll throw in a piece of broccli for my tangs. LOL

If you have the luxury of having a place nearby that sells live brine shrimp do it. I recently bought a portion of live brine and i was thinking, what do i do with the rest. Well I grabbed an ice cube tray and i filled the tray with the rest of the shrimp and bam! instant rations. Given the current my tank has its been the best thing ever. Ive tried flakes and pellet food but it kept ending up in the sand bed and my fish wouldnt eat once it landed on the bottom. I have an asian market nearby and I have also been making a seafood medley from frozen items using a food processor. 3 dollars for a 1 lb. bag versus 4 dollars for a couple of ounces of refridegerated petco food, do the math. Also avoid clouding your tank with food processor processed foods by rinsing. My tangs also love sushi sea weed and white cooked and chopped rice.

My tangs also love sushi sea weed and white cooked and chopped rice.
Spoiled fish for sure whats next some diced filet mignon and a glass of red wine. maybe take the fish out for a movie with an evening fin massage. (just kidding) the rice part surprised me.. I don't know of anywhere around me locally that sells live seafood I am about 3hours from Seattle where there is lots of it. I just got a cuisinart food processor for christmas what could I buy at the local grocery store that my clownfish would like

Do a search on 'blnder mush' or 'home made fish food' and you'll find all kinds of recipes. Mostly it's buy any fresh non-fatty seafood e.g. clams, prawns, fish fillet (remember to use marine fish fillet to feed saltwater fish), scallops, fish eggs, shrimp, and mussels. Freezing seafood before using it will kill some types of parasites.

Most grocery stores sell the basic mush ingredients. I use shrimp, cod, scallops, seaweed, garlic, selcon and Zoe in my mix. This is pretty basic but they like it.

I think the food makes a huge difference in the growth and health. I went to the local fish store today where I got my mated pair of ocellaris clownfish. They had some still from that same batch another customer who had fry gave the batch to them. When I bought my mated pair they were tiny only like 3 weeks old. 3months later they still have some of the same fry still they are much bigger than my clownfish is now. And the lady at the LFS said that the ones the other customer kept were much bigger than the ones the LFS had.

Back
Top Bottom