Anyone use a UPS to protect their tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
After the last power outage, my Sand Sifting Starfish was not happy. Part of a leg fell off, but thankfully it's regenerating. :D

I was thinking about hooking up a UPS to my tank. The power supply in my computer is rated for 400 W. The heater in the tank runs 150 W but of course not all the time. I've seen a UPS which supposedly runs your computer for 30 minutes. If I connect a heater and a smaller powerhead, maybe I could keep the tank running for 2 hours?

Has anyone tried this? If so, any advice is appreciated.

My tanks are all protected by UPSs and it works VERY well.

If you're going to attach most filters and/or powerheads, though, you need to buy a UPS with a sine-wave output. For APC brand UPSs, this means you need their SmartUPS line. Their less expensive BackUPS and BackUPS Pro lines use a an approximated-sine-wave (or stepped-sine-wave) output which will cause problems with most electric motors, such as those in most filter and powerheads.

I have APC SmartUPS 700s on my tanks (one on my 20L and one on my 38) powering the filters and heaters. They can run the tanks for about 1-2 hours, if I remember correctly. The UPSs saved my tanks a year or so ago, so I think they're a VERY good investment!

Here's a couple posts I wrote in regarding UPSs. Instead of rewriting everything, I'll just post the links!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91780&highlight=

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=90677&highlight=

Short story - I highly recommend a high capacity UPS. I've been really happy with my Xantrex PowerSource 400. In addition, be sure to think about the GFIC implications of a UPS. Having your UPS plugged into a GFI outlet negates the safety features of a GFI. You need a GFI switch between your UPS and the thing being powered.

I only have my phs hooked up to my UPS. I believe a heater would suck up the juice, rather quickly (I have 2 300W heaters in my 125G). I belive water movement is more important that heat (keep in mind, larger tanks take longer to cool down, than smaller tanks).

My price point for a UPS is under $150. So not the cheapest model, but I can't afford to spring for a fancy model either. That being said, do I need the approximated-sine-wave (or stepped-sine-wave) DarylF2 suggests? Those models seem to be out of my price range.

Moreover, if I use a cheaper UPS, will that harm my powerheads?

I buy all of my UPSs refurbished from www.refurbups.com these days. They have a wide variety of SmartUPS models on this page. I like them because they sell new batteries with all of their refurbished UPSs.

Prices vary slightly, but right now they have a refurbished APC SmartUPS 1000 for $120. Their stock varies, tough, and they often have SmartUPS 700 models for well under $100! Shipping isn't cheap, but is reasonable since UPSs are VERY heavy! RefurbUPS.com has newer models with USB connections for communicating with a computer, too, but you don't need this for an aquarium and so can buy the older models without USB and save a fair bit.

I think that UPSs without sine-wave output can damage electric motors, but in any case they don't work well. I tried it years ago, and my powerhears made awful noises and didn't work when under the UPS's power. They weren't damaged, thankfully, but I only tried to power them via the UPS (a nice APC BackUPS Pro 1100 model) for a minute or two (as a test).

leafyseadragon said:
My price point for a UPS is under $150. So not the cheapest model, but I can't afford to spring for a fancy model either. That being said, do I need the approximated-sine-wave (or stepped-sine-wave) DarylF2 suggests? Those models seem to be out of my price range.

Moreover, if I use a cheaper UPS, will that harm my powerheads?

The Xantrex I mentioned goes for about $150. The literature that comes with the Xantrex doesn't mention anything about sine wave output, so I'm guessing it doesn't have it - otherwise you'd think they'd advertise it. With that said though, I powered two heaters for about 7 hours off one, and a powerhead and Pengiun 100 Biowheel filter for 36 hours with no ill effects.

Back
Top Bottom