Anyone use rock from Hirocks.com?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just received my shipment of 180lbs. Looks like nice rock. My only concern is that it seems very dusty. Can I rinse it with tap water and then store it in a garbage can for a while until my tank is ready?

My tank will be here in 2 weeks and then I will need a week or so to get it set up. Will rinsing it with tap water now be ok or should I do something different.

I plan on doing a fishless cycle so should I put this rock in about a week before I add my live rock or can I do it all at once.

Thanks

Well i really do not know for a fact but i was under the impression that it had to be in the water ASAP. and tap water would not be the best thing for it. you should just go get a tub and fill it with salt water that has been treated and heat the water and put a PH in the tub and then let that sit till the tank comes.

as far as I'm aware, hirocks.com is base rock, and it's not LR. -checks- Yeah, it's base rock. You can rinse it off if you'd like. Or just shake/blow some of it off outdoors. You can store it where ever, as it's not living, until the tank is ready. Maybe someone else could offer advice on whether or not to rinse it, but I'd just blow off what came off and leave the rest be. It'll just fall into the sand bed anyways. HTH!

Hirocks is a base rock, no harm in rinsing it. A GREAT place to buy baserock!! Seed it with some live rock and you are good to go when u get your new tank. Your fine to store the base rock in a trash can till ur ready

I just ordered the 30lb box to add to my 40 G after I finish setting up the 30 g sump/fuge. I have seeded volcanic lace that is now 75% covered with coraline it looks OK but not reeflike to jagged, the shell pieces I put in grew MUCH more coraline in WAY less time. I hope the same will be true with the calcium based hirocks!! thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom