Anything else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow.. nice setup.. are you sure those rocks are stable though?.. some don't look like they are.. i'm just saying.. i dont know for sure.. but wow. i'm thinking about going reef..

What is that pvc pipe on the right in the tank? From the refelction it looks like it has a straner on it. IS that a return for you sump?

If so what happens when power goes out? Do you have anything preventing the entire tank from draning down to your sump and eventually on the floor?

Do you have anything preventing the entire tank from draning down to your sump and eventually on the floor?

That is exactly what my wife said. Never thought about it untill then.
The pvc is the return. I have 2 little holes drilled at the top of the pvc incase of a power failure.

Thanks. I spent hours arranging the rocks.

I hope they are stable it seems to be though. Maybe the small rocks at the top could fall.

I have been reading more into the benefits of the DSB and realize I do not have enough sand for that. I will be putting another 2-3 inches in when I get the sand.

2 Questions.

1. I am a little confused on the sand. Small sugar size, not silia based. Can be argonite. Not silica sand ??

2. Will this add to the cycle?

Could be silica sand...really needs to be aragonite. The aragonite sand will help keep alk up as it dissolves. Should not add to the cycle.

If you want to check to see if the sand is calcium based, put it in a bowl and add some vinegar. If it fizzes it is.

The cloudiness will go away in a few days.

Wow! The water finally cleared up. Here is a pic.
http://userweb.suscom.net/~johnkenyon/dsb.jpg

The tank is still cycling. In about a week, I will be adding a clean up crew for the tank and the sand. Are there any recomendations are stuff to stay away from?

On a side note, I am extremely happy with the quality of live rock that I purchased from reeftopia.com. I have a plethora of feather dusters, button polyps, and numerous other unidentified species. {learning new stuff everyday :D }

Back
Top Bottom