Anything I can do ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know this subject has been addressed a million times but I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong. My 20 gallon tank has been up and running for about two months now. All my water parameters are at 0ppm. I do weekly water changes but my diatom problem seems to be not getting any better. I know it takes time but is there anything else I can do to help. My 55 gallon freshwater tank went through the same thing but it only lasted about a month..

Attachments

• tank 030.jpg
    tank 030.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 78
  • tank 032.jpg
    tank 032.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 72
Your tank is still pretty young. Mine went through different algae phases for the first 5 months before it hit a point where all the algae went away. Are you using ro/di? That doesn't look like diatoms but more some type of cyano. Try to increase flow and add some phosphate remover. When you do wc suck it out as well.

yeah id look at flowrate first. id say you dont have enough flow in the tank so its running rampant in your tank

I do use ro/di water. I have two powerheads. One is koralia 240 and the other is a koralia 425. Do I need more flow than that ?

youre just over 33x turnover so id say you are good. just try aiming the powerheads in different directions. remember to give them a few days to see what happens

I have one on each side of the tank. One pointed toward the back glass and the other toward the front glass. Should I point them differently ?

Yeah. Just try experimenting with them until you find a decent setup that slows the algae growth

Back
Top Bottom